KIPS main exhaust shaft in wrong

Got questions? We got answers....
getherejune

KIPS main exhaust shaft in wrong

Post by getherejune »

Hi all-thx to this site and the cylcop. manual, just got done disassembling/cleaning/reinstalling the KIPS on our new to us 220. (Actually wasn't as hard as i thought which was nice for a change). So, quick question-when my son and i took it apart, we took special note of where the alignment dot was at on the shaft lever in relation to the main shaft gear as i didn't see any white paint on the end of the spline. Even took pics of it on my phone to make sure. Once out, i ended up painting it white for future reference. Then, once i put it all back together, i noticed that my mark was 180 degrees off and that there actually was a small white dot on the END of the spline that i could line up with the dot on shaft lever (hope all that makes sense). So, somewhere along the line, a PO messed up and didn't follow all the alignment marks to get things right. Question is, how would that make the bike run with the main shaft off 180 degrees as opposed to having it in the correct position now (assuming the PO had the sub valves & shafts lined up correctly-i didn't check that when i removed them). Thanks tons guys
kdxdazz

Re: KIPS main exhaust shaft in wrong

Post by kdxdazz »

Having the shaft 180 degrees out makes no difference but installing it the correct way means you can double check everything with the timing marks, there are no white dots that I am aware of, the alignment mark on the shaft is a line about 10-15mm long
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
getherejune

Re: KIPS main exhaust shaft in wrong

Post by getherejune »

OK-that is good to know and kind of what i thought. I did have the punch mark on the main shaft that my manual talks about, but the spline on the opposite side had no line along the spline as pictured in the manual-but it did have a small white dot on the side of the spline. But, that may have been put there by a PO (which is totally funny because he didn't use the dot to line up the main shaft!). Thx for the reply-was hoping i would gain 20 hp, 30 more mph top speed, and some insane low end grunt now that its in right....but now i'm just hoping it starts after having everything apart on the kitchen table for a few days :)