Clutch problem

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

Clutch problem

Post by crazybrit »

Have a clutch question.

I crashed and broke the clutch perch a while back -- was able to limp back to the truck.

Replacing the perch, when I removed the clutch cable from the old perch I heard an odd (snapping) sound from the clutch. Wasn't sure if it was just the actuator retracting and so didn't think any more about it.

Installed the new perch ... trouble free ... clutch action seemed fine.

Then I went to work on replacing the linkage bearings and the swingarm was off for a couple weeks while I waited for the new ones to arrive. When I put it all back together I happened to notice the bike wouldn't move when in gear (clutch engaged).

I kept re-adjusting the cable such that the actuator action (at the clutch) was progressively increasing. Thought maybe the clutch wasn't fully dissengaging. However I ended up adjusting it all the way till the clutch lever travel was being limited by the cable tension but still couldn't roll the bike when it was in gear.

I'm now wondering about that noise I heard when I popped off the old cable -- or maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Anyone have any suggestions. Dissassembling the clutch is one of the few bike maintenance things I've never done.

Tony
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

It's hard to say what the clutch "snapping" noise could be without actually hearing it...but, the wet clutch system requires cetrifical force for the plates to separate properly and give you a true fully disengaged feel.

Simply stated...I can walk out to the garage and try and spin the tires on both the KX and KDX while they are not running and in gear with the clutch pulled in. The tires will not move. Both bikes are in operational condition.

As long as you have "normal" feel in the clutch lever. Go ahead and re-adjust the clutch lever so that you have the correct free play. Fire the bike up and try it again. If you are unable to put the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled, or the bike just dies when you put it in gear with the cluch pulled: you hava a problem that will require a inspect of the clutch.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Strangely enough, I had the exact problem that quailchaser explains in last. As soon as I would put the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled, it would die. Since it was an old bike with really minimum maintenance, I figured I'd put some oil in the clutch case. By doing so I solved my problem.
1981 KDX 175