KIPS spring legth?

Got questions? We got answers....
getherejune

KIPS spring legth?

Post by getherejune »

HI all-well, my search found that the KIPS spring is not available (I saw it when i was doing the top end yesterday....must have went boing and is now somewhere in the shop. Dang it). Ive read i don't really need it, but figured since i have the ball bearing, i might as well. Read that a pen spring has been used, so will go that route. What i'm looking for is an approximate length or way to judge about how long to make it? (Pen spring i know is too long-Fits in the bolt nicely (assuming that is why the bolt is hollow) but approx how much spring should be coming out of the bolt? Thanks tons - (small parts don't mesh well with my lack of good vision unfortunately!)
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KIPS spring legth?

Post by Molly's 70 »

What timing. I just happen to be putting my spare cylinder together this morning.
That spring sits even with the top of the bolt. It's .335" long & .185" in diameter.
It is a little stronger than a ball point pen spring.
Hope this helps.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Pen spring wont be strong enough.
'00 KDX 220R
getherejune

Post by getherejune »

Dang-i was thinking a pen spring would work as i read an old thread that Jeff Fredette had used pen springs as a substitute. Thanks tons M70. Will take a trip to my local Ace that has all kinds of random stuff like that and put a new battery in the digital caliper and see what i can find (Good info that it sits ON TOP of the bolt. i read some old threads where people said the spring was actually hiding inside the bolt, so thats why i thought it had to seat inside of it and not rest on top!)
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

The spring DOES rest inside the bolt. Its length is flush with the top.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
getherejune

Post by getherejune »

Ah! ok, gotcha M70-thanks so much for your help. So fits inside the bolt and stops flush with the bolt. Thats easier then-i can just take the bolt with me! Perfect timing, so thanks so much for your help :)
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

:supz: