Tires again -

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Tires again -

Post by Mark W »

Went rifding today with my son, a buddy, and his son. First time ride for my buddies son who borrowed an older Honda XR100 and he did OK.

Day started off OK and then it got better in the afternoon. Better that is until I flatted my rear real good. Wouldn't hold any air for more than on minute.

So, I need a new rear tire. I know that tire choice is similar to premix and tranny oil choice so this quyestion might get that kind of response.

Any recommendations for a new tire (2002 KDX220R)? Might as well get rid of the stock tires that are worn anyway and put on a new one. Can I change the size of the tire like you can with car tires. I searched the site here and saw that a few people really liked the Pirelli MT16. Comments?

As always, thanks for the help. Bringing the old wheel and tire in tomorrow to get changed. I think it was $10 for labor which isn't all that bad. I probably should learn to change them someday as it is a drive to get to the place and all.

Mark
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

I went with one size bigger. The 110/100-18. It's a tad wider and taller. I used to run the Pirrelli mt32, it was ok. Been running a kenda, but I'm doing a switch. Absolutely no wear with it. Great when it was new though.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

So...

Post by Mark W »

What are you switching to? What does the one size bigger do for you? You staying with this size or changing again.

Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about bike tires - zippo, nada, nothing...

Thanks -
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

YEAH!!!!!! The MT 32 is flat gnarly! I love it on my 220 :supz:
I tried the 120 and it was too big. Robbed a little power and made for a gappy spot in the tranny. I am running a 13-50 ratio. I found that the Pirelli's are tall tires so a 110 is allot bigger than a Dunny. I am also running the Michelin, Ultra-heavy duty tubes and get away with 7 lbs. of pressure for psycho traction in the worst conditions. Paired with an MT 44 front you can't go wrong.
I have heard good things about the MT 16 too. I have tried many and will be sticking with the Pirelli's.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Now that I finished reading your entire post I have to say that you can't pick a better tire to learn how to mount up than the MT. They have a supple sidewall so once they are lubed up with some of wifey's dishsoap, they spoon on real handy.
Last months issue of dirtbike has a section on maintenance and they go over tire mounting. I think I would take up too much space to try and explain. Once you get it down you can whip through one in around 7 min. :grin:
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Mark what is your terrain like?

Where I ride here in AZ, it's rocks, with some rocks, with more rocks hiding on top or underneath the rocks. In between the rocks there is sand (with rocks). Anywhere there is dirt, it's hard packed with rocks or it's silty :shock: . Even with all the rocks and sand and silt combo's, the best front tires for traction tend to be the soft terrain tires. The Maxxis SI or Metzler MC4 are my two favorite. Other fronts hook up good here when they are new, but once the edges are broken....yikes. :shock: The SI and MC4 both hold thier handling characteristics throughout thier life. Personally, I won't run anything else here. Up front it seems it's almost always a sacrafice. If you want a tire that lasts a long time...you give up some traction. If you want great traction...you give up some tire life. If you ride where there is actual dirt...there are many good choices. Unfortunatly, I have no direct experience with dirt. :blink:

For the rears on the KX, I'm lucky enough to be in a unique situation where I have direct access to MXers' take offs that have little wear. My experience here in AZ is that almost any rear tire that I have tried works similiar for our rocks. This has been true for the KX and the KDX. All the rears tear up fast and hook up ok. I really don't have a favorite rear. The ones I've liked more than others are the Pirelli MT (both the 16 and 32) tires and the Metzler MC5. I like the Maxxis IT rear (with one note...I prefer to have them broken in by someone else). Every new IT I've tried is scatey for the first few rides. Then it "breaks in" becomming predictable, and lasts well. The Dunlop 756's have great traction, but don't last long. For some reason none of the Bridgestones and Michelin's seem to work well out here. They all tend to have marginal traction and wear quickly. Maybe it's just how much they cost that makes it seem that way? :wink:

Currently, I am running and evaluating the Excella OF-217 on both the KX and KDX. After 3 rides on the KX, I really like this rear. We'll see how much I like it after it wears more. It's basically an old Pirelli design almost identicle to the Pirelli MT450. Next on my list to test are the Dunlop 952 and the Maxxis SI rears. Every rider (MX to Off road) who's tried the 952 has been extreemly positive about it's wear characteristics and it's traction. For what most of us ride, a soft to intermediate tire seems to be the best choice on the rear.

As far as tire size, 110/100 tire will work well on the KDX. That's the size I run. Everyone I know here that has a KDX also runs a 110/100. Switching to a 110/100 tire from a 100/100 tire will change your gear ration by approx. 5%. For me, the 220 with the 110/100 tire worked the best in tight 2nd and 3rd gear stuff with 13/50 gearing. 12/47 gave me a slight gap from 2nd to 3rd and 1st was to low for anything. 13/47 gave me a slight gap between 1st and 2nd which made certain hill climbs interesting. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Picking Tires is all about what conditions and terrain you ride. it will take time to get that perfect set of tires. In the mean time read up like your doing take a stab at what is best for your conditions. I have a maxxis IT on the rear and a dunlop 756 on the front. one thing I look for is that they have rim saver on them meaning the tire sticks out past the rim above the beed. I ride a mix of sand on hard pack with shale rock mud and lots of cactus and tree thorns so I always use ultra heavy tubes with slime. nothing sticks like the 756 on sandy slick corners. I also like the k490 in rocky conditions. the hardest thing for me is the rocks or stone in the the sand,finding a rear tire that doesnt chunk took a while but the maxxis is a working I on the second one.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

My terrain is mostly dirt and clay. Sme sand and very little rock. Hopefully Bob's carries the tire I am looking for. Looks like I'll try the 110/100 and see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you like the 756, try the new 952.

Or...if you've never used a 756, try a 952. :wink:

..rear...

As good a hookup as the 756, but lasts much longer. It doesn't chunk, keeps a square knob for a long time!

Cheaper than the 756, too!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Didn't look so square to me after a hunderd miles of my trails. Where's the photos you took?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:If you like the 756, try the new 952.

Or...if you've never used a 756, try a 952. :wink:

..rear...

As good a hookup as the 756, but lasts much longer. It doesn't chunk, keeps a square knob for a long time!

Cheaper than the 756, too!
Thats my next tire to try. I love the 756 but it does not last long.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

The French can't make a tire! :butthead:
(The French Canadians are very cool and not to be mistaken for the parisians so don't get too peeved at me) Get a Brazillian made Pirelli and support those less fortunate and less stuck up. MT 44 and MT 32!!!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Does the Brazillion (sic) made tire have silicon injected knobbies?

re: don't look

I didn't say they were..and they still last a long time. What do you expect on a 45º slate slope with a real clutch? In 2nd gear, even?

re: where the

In the camera.

That terra-flex is a DOT tire........ :?

Note the input from folks that like the 756...but, 'It doesn't last.'

Thus the 952.

Consider the source

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Pirelli says that all of their front tires are DOT. I can't believe my 44 is. It is one mean mother. If you must do the DOT thing then there are the new Kendas that Fred Hoess runs (K777 and 778) Plus there is the weird little company called Mitas. Works Enduro Rider sells this tire called the stoneeater that I may try next for grins. Drew says they're real sweet here in northeast.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A DOT designation doesn't really mean anything as far as the tire goes.

The tire company has to pursue that designation, it's not a matter of specification ('Too knobby! No DOT stamp for YOU!!').

Kind'a like a toothpaste being accepted by the American Dental Association.

You can't put that label on your stuff without asking...but it don't mean nothin'.

...like the DOT stickers on the back of the WWII kraut helmets the tough-guy (REAL men!!) harley riders wear.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I like my Kenda Trackmaster tyres

Got one on the KDX, little wear so far but maybe I should actually ride it!

Got another on the DR650, I've abused the poop out of that thing on and offroad and the knobs are barely rounded
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I like my Kenda Trackmaster tyres

Got one on the KDX, little wear so far but maybe I should actually ride it!

Got another on the DR650, I've abused the poop out of that thing on and offroad and the knobs are barely rounded
that DR is a real tire tester when it comes to rear tires and sprockets. the bike can pull a tractor out of the mud with 14/49 and a trackmaster on the rear.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I'm currently running a Metzeler MC4 front and rear (went with a 110 instead of 100). They seem pretty meaty but they are new (2 rides) so I can't you much about wear. They do well in the mud and sand so far compared to the Dunlops that came off but they were pretty worn out so that may not be a fair comparison.

One thing I did notice is that after a little track time the larger tire must have rubbed the silencer a few times since the factory paint was rubbed off. Not sure if this is the case with all off the 110 tires. The fix is simple enough -- shim the silencer out an 1/8.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I ordered the D952 (rear-110/90 x 18) on Saturday for $52 from the guy down the road.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I was trying to do a good thing and support my local dealer by ordering a 952 for my brothers bike... $88! Full freakin' retail! :shock:

Last time.... last time....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "