uncorking my 200

Got questions? We got answers....
liv2ride626

uncorking my 200

Post by liv2ride626 »

It has probably been said many times before, but i was wandering what other if any cheap mods there are to get a little more out of my 99 KDX200. (I already have the snorkel off and recently rejetted.)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A better suspension is every bit as 'go-fast' a 'fix' as your other basic hop-up stuff.

Check you sag. Generally set to 100mm.

Set your clickers.

That's pretty darn cheap!

I figure about...uh...lessee.....ah, it comes to $zip . .

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Get some heavier fork springs to go along with CC's advice if you weight more than the 130lbs the stockers are rated for. If your really adventurous, changing your fork oil and removing a couple of the shims from your cartridge valves can really help the front end.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Trim the bars to about 29 or 30 inches wide for a better ride position. Heck just setting the bars for correct rider hand placement is pretty much overlooked as far as I can tell from riding other folks' bikes. Keep the air pressure right in the tires and moving parts greased so they work right.

Don't over oil your air filter. Use a thin wire spark plug. Change oil every other ride. Keep chain adjusted correctly. Eash of these things can rob you of power and make the bike feel as if it's loosing power when it's really just not getting the power to the ground.

Change your counter shaft sprocket from 13 tooth to a 12 tooth. I won't give more power but it will feel like it due to the torque effect.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On a 99, you can turn your bar mounts around and get an additional inch of space in the saddle... costs nothing. Good suspension (some general tweaking costs very little) and replace those junk stock tires if you are still running them. Traction is great when you experience it! :lol:

And get some better reeds like the Boysen's 607's or if your real adventurous... go for the DeltaForce III's
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

already have springs in it (the previous owner did them for his weight and i only weigh 10 more punds than him). Have a fresh rear tire on there, some sh**ty front tire i got off a friend for free tho. I do need to set the sag, and change the oil a little more often tho. Oh how do i set the clickers? and what are they, suspension?
Thanks guys
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There are numerous suspension 'guides' on the web that tell you how to setup your suspension.

The 'clickers' consist of one set in the OEM forks...on the bottom of each leg, for LSC or low-speed-compression adjustment. More clicks 'in' make the forks 'stiffer'.

The shock has clickers top and bottom for LSC and rebound, respectively.

Example: When you hit a slow-rising roller, the back of your bike kicks your arse in the air. That may be due to a too-stiff compression setting on your shock...the shock cannot absorb the impact resulting in pogo-sticking you into the air.

Take a look on the web for suspension settings..there are a lot of sources. If you don't find what you're looking for, ask again.

OR...you could just click this! :wink:

Note this part:
Jeremy Wilkey wrote:For the shock, we recommend that the linkage be cleaned and greased once a month. The shock's oil should be changed every 3-6 months.
Believe it or not...there are some that have not touched their shock maintenance-wise for YEARS!!!

Unbelievable, huh? :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

My father has not done any maintenance since he bought his 1993 KDX200 "used" in 1995, other then replacing one sparkplug and cleaning his "Hushpuppy exhaust" in 1995. THat's 11 years of trails! It still starts with 1-2 kicks :blink:
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Roland C

Post by Roland C »

My dad's the same way. He bought a Yamaha IT200 new in 1985 and hasn't done hardly anything to it since. He replaced the reeds and the pipe two or three years ago because it was fouling plugs real bad and wasn't running well. He's probably only changed the oil a few times and I don't think he's touched the front or rear suspension. The thing still runs pretty good, though.
'02 KDX200
'00 TTR125L
'02 SV650S