Kips rattle part 2

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxdazz

Kips rattle part 2

Post by kdxdazz »

Posting my video part 2, if admin feels I'm posting too many kips rattle tips feel free to remove
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Kips rattle part 2

Post by Slick_Nick »

No such thing as too many! Great contribution to the forum!
'00 KDX 220R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I wouldn’t even of thought of checking that at reassembly. Another good tip, thank you. I’ve owned so many junker vehicles over the years that sounded like crap and had me wondering if they were going to blow at any time. As much as I love the KDX I would’ve ended up selling mine if it had a loud kips rattle. Anything we can do to help our bikes sound great is such a bonus.

A friend and I were riding recently and took a break on this long twisty deep sand trail. From far away we heard a bike coming towards us and he said “man listen to how sweet that sounds.” It ended up being a guy absolutely ripping on what looked like a showroom KDX. I could see the stock pipe and silencer as he flew by us. Coming at us, it was one of the best bikes I had ever heard with the sound bouncing off the trees. There was no kips rattle. It sounded so clean and stealthy. Don’t you love the sound of a 2 stroke echoing through the woods?
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

John_S wrote: 11:36 pm Apr 03 2022 I wouldn’t even of thought of checking that at reassembly. Another good tip, thank you. I’ve owned so many junker vehicles over the years that sounded like crap and had me wondering if they were going to blow at any time. As much as I love the KDX I would’ve ended up selling mine if it had a loud kips rattle. Anything we can do to help our bikes sound great is such a bonus.

A friend and I were riding recently and took a break on this long twisty deep sand trail. From far away we heard a bike coming towards us and he said “man listen to how sweet that sounds.” It ended up being a guy absolutely ripping on what looked like a showroom KDX. I could see the stock pipe and silencer as he flew by us. Coming at us, it was one of the best bikes I had ever heard with the sound bouncing off the trees. There was no kips rattle. It sounded so clean and stealthy. Don’t you love the sound of a 2 stroke echoing through the woods?
Yes, stock pipe makes a huge difference to sounds, more than twice as thick as the aftermarket pipes , I have a Pro circuit pipe on my kdx220 buy would trade for a stock pipe any day
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Did you ever get the engine reassembled and running? I'm curious to see if your work paid off with the KIPS rattle.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

kdxdazz wrote: 04:32 am Apr 04 2022
John_S wrote: 11:36 pm Apr 03 2022 I wouldn’t even of thought of checking that at reassembly. Another good tip, thank you. I’ve owned so many junker vehicles over the years that sounded like crap and had me wondering if they were going to blow at any time. As much as I love the KDX I would’ve ended up selling mine if it had a loud kips rattle. Anything we can do to help our bikes sound great is such a bonus.

Yes, stock pipe makes a huge difference to sounds, more than twice as thick as the aftermarket pipes , I have a Pro circuit pipe on my kdx220 buy would trade for a stock pipe any day
Its a shame you're in Thailand. I have a nice stock pipe, (not silencer/sa) I would be happy to let go.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

John_S wrote: 03:45 pm Jun 21 2022 Did you ever get the engine reassembled and running? I'm curious to see if your work paid off with the KIPS rattle.
I did but not long after that I flew to Thailand, now working on my other kdx, overheating problem is consuming my life 😭
Kips rattle on both bikes is greatly reduced very happy with the results compared to what it was, both bikes have a noisy clutch and need to pull the clutch in to appreciate the sound difference of the kips, no idea why kdx's have such a noisy clutch, that will be another video 🙂
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

pumpguy wrote: 03:58 pm Jun 21 2022
kdxdazz wrote: 04:32 am Apr 04 2022

Its a shame you're in Thailand. I have a nice stock pipe, (not silencer/sa) I would be happy to let go.
If you ever take a holiday to Thailand please put it in your suitcase 🥰
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Okay, will do.