KDX a 125 competitor?

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

KDX a 125 competitor?

Post by motorhed220 »

Ive herd some odd remarks saying that a KDX 220 is only meant to compete with 125's and is no match for the 250's in any way (two stroke Class) Is this tru or can a hopped up KDX roll with a 250, stock or not?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A 220 is a purpose built bike. Not meant to compete with MX bikes in any way shape or form. It is best to keep this in mind. A KDX will never be as powerful as a 250, but can out manuver one in the thick.... that's what it was designed for.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I have a 97 KDX 200, And I have raced my two buddies one has a 2001 Honda CR 250 and one has a 2003 Honda CR 250 from a dead stop they get me by like 30 ft. but from like a 15 MPH roll they havf't to work at it to pull away and mine is bone stock except for full exhaust. so ya with enough stuff I think it is POSSIBLE !!!
Geoff T. Biderman
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Two weeks ago in Delaware, my 220 was running with the 250's NO PROBLEM. Take into consideration that RBD did my Carb & Head and VF3's, FMF Rev/TBC2 are installed as well as a KX Front end. The KX Front had a BIG PART in the RUFF. There are very few people who can use the FULL POWER of a MX BIKE. It comes down to more stamina than anything else.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

This last weekend I met two fellows that race east coast GNCC, both 2 and 4-wheel classes. One races east coast SX too and he was on a fairly new CR250. The guy on the 4-wheeler was talking about getting a new KTM and the guy on the CR250 was talking about the changes he made to make his CR more woods friendly. They both noticed right off that I had a KDX but knew the forks were wrong (USD). After explaining the RB mods and the USD valving improvements and small talk I found out one of their aunts lives in my home town in WA...me and the CR guy switched bikes for a little trip through the woods. The CR was powerful and I spun the wheel constantly. It was a handful. It was a little harsh in the sharp bumps but all I had to do was think about lofting the front and it was lofted. I tried to keep up with him which was impossible so I stayed back behind the dust. Here's what he told me. The KDX was easier to ride, shifting less with a 3rd gear that was amazing in how low it would pull (RB), plush front end absorbed everything, turned just as well or better than the CR in the tight stuff, needed very little clutching as 3rd gear was a tractor, speed on the fast sections was way less than the CR, the KDX has way less wheel spin and hooked up better and was easier to ride in the tight and loose sections because of this, climbed easier (less spin) . His opinion is that if it weren't for those long fast sections he said the KDX was better than his CR in this area. The other guy rode it for maybe 10 minutes (I wouldn't get on the 4-wheeler) and when he came back he said he had ridden probably 5 KDX's in the last 10 years and this was better that those and better than the KTM he rode a week ago. Better in EVERY way. I don't know what KTM he rode, but he says it is flat out better and it fit him better.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool note.....Yeah, IMO there is no substitue for a WR trans in the woods. The KDX has this, and much more.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'shifting less with a 3rd gear that was amazing in how low it would pull (RB)'

...I smell a SSS.... :wink:

Works good, 'da?

I'd have something to say about my 200 and a CRF250X I'v ridden with...but the topic is the 220... :neutral:

Quads? My RB'd Banshee (carbs/head) makes a new Suzukazi 400 (headered and muffed) look just plain silly. Does that count? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My KDX can spank the butt of many 250's, 450's, 550's, 525's, etc.....
Just look at the standings at any enduro I've entered. I'm placing better than most of those bikes. So be careful when someone tells you a 220 is no match for the 250's in any way.
In a drag race? No. In an enduro, yes. In my woods, YES!!!
Besides, it really sticks in the craw of those other guys when they catch up to me when I wait for them, then instantly take off again without letting them have a chance to catch their breath. One rider was so frustrated that I wouldn't let him by that he threw his bike down in discust when we got back to the starting area. For the next loop we swapped bikes and I sandbagged it. That really made him mad to find out he was "faster" on my KDX than his bike. HaW!!!
Having a bike that can "beat" a KDX is no big thing. Having a rider that can beat another rider on a KDX is quite another.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Of course it counts, it's an RB'd machine!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd