Kdx 200 Carb issue

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX Von

Kdx 200 Carb issue

Post by KDX Von »

hey folks i'm having an issue with my kdx carb it keeps pissing gas out of the overflow hose and my floats aren't stuck i've blasted it with carb cleaner like 6 times with no luck would anyone here happen to know what may cause it to dump gas like this other than a float issue?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx 200 Carb issue

Post by SS109 »

Bad float, incorrect float height, carb mounted canted to one side, bad needle valve, corroded/varnished needle seat, or any combination of.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX Von

Post by KDX Von »

so if i order a carb rebuild kit that should fix it correct?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check the rubber cone shaped tip on the little rod that gets pushed up to seal off the fuel. When the floats go up, it pushes the rubber cone up into a hole where fuel flows in. If the hole is varnished or the rubber tip is worn, it won't seal well.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDX Von wrote: 10:48 pm Mar 29 2022 so if i order a carb rebuild kit that should fix it correct?
Maybe but more than likely not. You would only fix one item off that list with a carb rebuild kit and that would be the float needle. Floats are sold separately, you'll still have to set the float height, you need to make sure you install the carb straight up, and even a fresh float needle will not solve a corroded/varnished needle seat.

Ok, now how to address each of these issues...

Is the float bad and need to be replaced? Put it in a cup of gas. Does it float? Yes, it's good. If it doesn't float enough to touch the top surface it's bad.

Installing carb straight. Put your bike on a bike stand so the bike is vertical and not leaned over like it would be on the kickstand. Now install carb and take note that it is perfectly straight up.

Watch the videos below. First one shows you how to set your float height. Follow the proper procedure to adjust the float but set it to 18mm instead of the stock setting.

Second shows how to check that the float needle and the seat are getting a good seal to each other. Pay no attention to him talking about an o-ring as PWK carbs don't use one. Simpler but less precise way of doing this same thing is to just blow in the fuel line with your mouth. If you hear air leaking the needle and seat are not getting a good seal. Inspect the needle valve and if it has a groove in it, replace with new one. Otherwise do what is shown in the video below this one, polishing the needle seat.

Third video shows you how to polish the needle seat easily.

While you're there you might as well check the jet block gasket to make sure it isn't leaking and that's covered in the fourth vid.

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R