Steering head bearings.

Got questions? We got answers....
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Stock is BEST! Runs about $65 from the dealer... just picked mine up tonight.

Just a drift (I used a big @ss screwdriver) and a lead or dead blow hammer is needed to get the old races out. Use a block of wood to set the new races in and top them off with the hammer.... gently. You want to make sure they are flush.

That's it! Job done! :supz:
Vince-You don't like PIVOT WORKS????
I paid $40 Something through Rocky Mountain & that included the Races.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OEM is just a little more.... and worth it.
Races are always included (in OEM anyway)... or should be.

Something about aftermarket bearings make me cringe... they didn't do the R&D to develop them.

"Ah... what's a seal anyway....we can sell more if we leave them out." :butthead:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: They been in there for 3 years and 3 months..

....and three miles! :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The seal.... or lack thereof.

The aftermarket bearings are non-sealed and the OEM's are.

Not worthless in the truest sense of the word but why buy aftermarket when OEM's are so much better?
I believe the OEM is a bearing + seperate seal (at least according to the fiche).
Just for clarification (in case anyone searches this thread) the AllBalls kit includes the seals exactly the same as OEM.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine was molded on.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The bottom seal is part of the bearing. It can be removed...just like the tapered rollers in the bearing can be removed.

It's not likely of much use AFTER it's been removed.

There is a bearing available on the 'aftermarket' that has the seal. BJH found one:
BJH wrote:Now I'm holding Koyo bearing 32005JR in my hand. And yes it is with the seal.

Consider the source

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

The bottom seal is part of the bearing. It can be removed...just like the tapered rollers in the bearing can be removed.
The fiche shows them as two seperate elements but one part#. Point was: AllBalls kit includes a seal. Whether the seal is pressed on by some Chinese dude a year ago or pressed on by yours truly I doubt makes much difference, though clearly (as you point out) removing it and reusing may be problematic.
There is a bearing available on the 'aftermarket' that has the seal. BJH found one:
BJH wrote:Now I'm holding Koyo bearing 32005JR in my hand. And yes it is with the seal.
Different part#s for top/bottom bearings according to the Kwak fiche. Which one is this for and whats the other part# :)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:re: They been in there for 3 years and 3 months..

....and three miles! :roll:
If that! :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

Different part#s for top/bottom bearings according to the Kwak fiche. Which one is this for and whats the other part# :)
Answering my own Q, 32006JR I guess for the bottom bearing.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:?
The top bearing does not have a seal. The bearing mentioned above is the bottom bearing...the subject being (I thought anyway) the SEAL part of it.

Sorry...I'm likely missing something, but I don't know what it is.

Any bearing from AllBalls isn't worth the time it takes to clean it and properly grease it let alone install it. Anyone is more than welcome to have a differing opinion; that doesn't make them less wrong.

I don't know an 'aftermarket' PN for the top bearing. The KOYO number is on the bearing, I believe. The top bearing doesn't generally fail, naturally, because that is the one that practically falls out by itself.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote::?
Any bearing from AllBalls isn't worth the time it takes to clean it and properly grease it let alone install it..
So Mr Wizard, do you have any info to back that up? :razz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

The top bearing does not have a seal. The bearing mentioned above is the bottom bearing..
Well maybe I'm misreading the parts fiche then. It sure looks like there is a seal on both. Or maybe the other component for each bearing part# isn't a seal?

I don't know an 'aftermarket' PN for the top bearing.
In this thread (http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237) you opined:

-- OK...I looked myself....'03 220r:
-- Bottom: 92116-1069 BEARING-ROLLER,HI-CAP32006JRRS
-- Top: 92047-017 RACE,ROLLER,32005JR RS 32005JR RS

According to the bearing supply company, the 'RS' in 32006JRRS and 32005JR RS
is for sealed (one side).

Tony
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm not sure if you're being a bit snotty or not. I kind'a get that idea.

Anyway...........

1. I don't know an 'aftermarket' PN for the top bearing.
2. The '--' above is merely a cut-n-paste from the buykawi site..having nothing to do with any 'opine' of mine.

If you're pointing out #2 as a response, rebuttal or doublespeak to #1 (you list the former after the latter like it means something)..the two are not at all related.

I did wonder at the time what the 'JRRS' vs: 'JR RS' was about but again, that is simply copied directly from the buykawi site.

Methinks I repeat myself.....summore. :wink:

From this:

..I see no 'other component' that could be a seal..or that the bearings themselves look one way (sealed) or the other (not sealed). The 'cap' part on top is NOT anything like the seal that comes with the bottom bearing. It's a dust seal is all.

Whatever anything looks like or anyone says..the bottom bearing has a seal, the top does not.

I have gotten aftermarket tapered roller bearing upgrade kits for bikes that had a cup-n-ball bearing setup. The bottom bearings did NOT come with a seal attached to the bearing, but they DID come with a separate washer type goody that had a rubber-edge to the outer diameter. A rather worthless appendage for a dirt bike (the kits mentioned were for street machines). Maybe that has something to do with what you're looking at. You refer to a 'fiche', but maybe that's not a reference to what buykawi shows.

A further repeat...I've missed what the whole point over this is.

I've looked for the bottom bearing from someplace other than the dealer. Two bearing supply houses in town could not produce the part with the seal.

BJH got it...but he's married to someone that works at Timken who knows an engineer there or something like that...

Mr. Wibbens: Now...maybe I don't know snotty EVERY time I see it...but I know THAT was snotty!!

Don't you have something to do??... yet another accessory you should be wiring into your WeeStrom or something? :roll:

Consider the source

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

not sure if you're being a bit snotty or not. I kind'a get that idea.
I wasn't (trying to be snotty, sorry) but since you raised it, I do have you say that you complaining about people being "snotty" is a bit pot/kettle/black no?
1. I don't know an 'aftermarket' PN for the top bearing.
Well from what you pasted from the Kawasaki parts site:
> - Bottom: 92116-1069 BEARING-ROLLER,HI-CAP32006JRRS
> -- Top: 92047-017 RACE,ROLLER,32005JR RS 32005JR RS

If "Koyo bearing 32005JR" is a valid aftermarket part# then based on the above
wouldn't 32006JR be the part# for the bottom? What am I missing here?
..I see no 'other component' that could be a seal..or that the bearings themselves look one way (sealed) or the other (not sealed). The 'cap' part on top is NOT anything like the seal that comes with the bottom bearing. It's a dust seal is all.
My mistake. I thought that seal was the seal in question.
Whatever anything looks like or anyone says..the bottom bearing has a seal, the top does not.
The bottom is the 32006JR no? Earlier you quoted "Now I'm holding Koyo bearing 32005JR in my hand. And yes it is with the seal".

I'm now fairly pretzelled with confusion ... all I know is that the local bearing store said they could get a Koyo 32005JRRS and 32006JRRS and both had seals. Of course now I'm unsure what that seal is? Just the dust seal similar to the above Kawasaki site?

Tony
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah. I'm sarcastic on a regular basis..haven't been on this thread...much. ;)
I don't recall ever being snotty..........

The buykaw site indeed lists the -006 as the bottom bearing. BJH said he was looking at a -005JR that had a seal, and the subject of that PM was the bottom bearing. We had been looking for a bottom bearing other than OEM that came with the seal. The '5' part of what he said is problematic.

A Koyo website shows the -006JR to be 55x30mm, the -005JR to be 47x25mm, The big one being the bottom and the small one being the top, then it is as you (and buykawi) say..'The bottom is the 32006JR ..'

The local bearing houses I spoke with CALLED their supplier to ask about attached seals as the 92116 has and were told 'No gots'.

I recall asking Chuck Rowlett (CBR Bearing) about them and him saying they didn't have them..the seal being something added to the bearing by Kaw.

I don't know what your bearing source means...maybe they don't know what they mean either. If you order a couple, I guess you will find out.

I see on Emerson's website a delineation between 'seals', 'shields', and 'open' when it comes to protection features. Maybe one man's seal is another man's shield.

Consider the source

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I'm not touching the sarcastic/snotty with a 10' pole :-) ....... onward .......
I don't know what your bearing source means...maybe they don't know what they mean either. If you order a couple, I guess you will find out.
Quite possible. On the other hand he did ask me if I was ok with only being sealed single side. For wheel bearings a -2RS is 2 sided with rubber seals and RS is sealed one side only. Maybe everything after the space in the fiche description "32005JR RS" is a typo and not just the space. That would make sense.

Now I started this I'll have to check with AllBalls on what they mean by "seals included". Bearing or dust.

So to flog this horse just one second longer .....

a) So regardless of the "can you get a sealed Koyo bottom bearing". Whatever I buy from a local bearing supply house won't include the dust seal and I'll have to reuse it.

b) Assuming I can indeed get a sealed Koyo bearing. Would it be bad to get a sealed upper also? Pointless perhaps but actually a problem?

Thanks for the info CC.

Tony
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The bottom bearing is a press fit so having the seal doesn't make difference in it being attached.

(Someone on this board bought a aftermarket brand set and it came with a dust seal for the lower... wouldn't serve any purpose other than trapping water and grit)

The top being a floating fit may interfere with the operation of the bearings, although I don't know this to be true.... just throwing it out there since you do have a dust seal for that one.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The bottom bearing is a press fit so having the seal doesn't make difference in it being attached.

(Someone on this board bought a aftermarket brand set and it came with a dust seal for the lower... wouldn't serve any purpose other than trapping water and grit)

The top being a floating fit may interfere with the operation of the bearings, although I don't know this to be true.... just throwing it out there since you do have a dust seal for that one.
So in the Kawi fiche pic that CC attached (above) whats the other portion of 92116 (lower)? I thought that was the dust seal?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That would be the race. They come as a set.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Don't you have something to do??... yet another accessory you should be wiring into your WeeStrom or something? :roll:
I all ready done wired it in!

Now my headlights flash and annoy the hell out of everyone!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))