UDS Forks

Got questions? We got answers....
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

UDS Forks

Post by it175 »

To Those Who Have Done It,
After reading many searches, what type of rider needs an UDS conversion?
I have a 2001 KDX 200 with heavier springs in the forks. I am 48 years and just getting back into trailriding only. I'm 6'0 and 240 lbs and I am wondering who will actually feels the benefits of an UDS conversion? After reading many searches, am I wrong in concluding that the UDS kit just makes the bike that much better? Is it a confidence or safety issue?

My riding motto is: If I don't ride over my head I won't land on it, :grin: but with the conversion, am I just postponing the inevitable? (HA!)

Cost is not an option if the conversion prevents me from kissing the emergency room nurse due to the standard bike's fork inabilities. I don't mind riding fast if I have to ,but
is there a reason to take out any shortcomings. Like C.C. said
"A half way UDS set up is better than stock forks could ever be"

Bottom Line: What type of rider actually needs the UDS conversion kit?

Thanks to all who respond both pro and con!!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Welcome IT, I'm certainly no expert on the topic since I started the conversion only tonight. The thing that got me started thinking of doing it is the opportunity to loose that infernal underhang of the stock forks. I often ride in rocky terrain, and have snagged the stock fork legs a number of times. Being a superior rider has allowed me to compensate and avoid going over the bars so far, but it's just a matter of time. Okay, that's a little deep. I've been danged lucky so far, mostly cuz God looks over the mentally challenged. I just did it again yesterday, and thought I was going over for sure.

Back to your question, I'd say it depends on what you want out of your bike, and how much you like it. I personally waffle between loving my bike, and wishing I had gone with a YZ250 and trail-prepped it with a big tank and lighting. I would like to be able to teach my son a little MX stuff, and the KDX in stock form is a widow-maker at that (mostly because of the forks). On the other hand, riding on trails after a long day really makes me appreciate the forgiving handling, torquey motor and comfy seat. Hopefully my conversion will get me a little closer to the ideal bike.

Good luck on your decision.

P.S. Oh, it's USD not UDS. (UpSide Down)
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The USD conversion makes a good bike a great bike.

All of the sudden there is nothing to complain about.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You mention riding over your head. The USD fork conversion will keep you from crashing as much. I know, my riding buddy has certainly noted to me the lack of exciting crashes I've been performing for him lately.
It will make you a faster rider because it will be safer to ride faster. It does take time to pick up the speed since you are conditioned to ride at a certain rate or pace based on the past experiance of over extending the bike's performance.

I guess that's really the thing in a nutshell. The bike's performance needs to be better than the riders if the rider expects to advance with thier riding without crashing (at least not crashing any more than necessary).

Does that make any sense?
Last edited by skipro3 on 09:15 am May 13 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

:oops: :oops: It figures !!.Trying not to look like an idiot, I do it in spades. :mad:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not at all!

I'm lesdexic most of the time! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The USD conversion makes a good bike a great bike.

All of the sudden there is nothing to complain about.
I second that. With out the UNDERHANG, you can plow through Mud, water holes and other Crap with out the worry of something grabbing the forks.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

To Colorado Mike, I too was undecided whether to get a KDX or a KX 250 with modes. But I realized HOW I wanted to ride and with what I wanted to ride on i.e. more trails then track. Every bike needs improvement for THE rider. Very few people can actually ride any bike to its full potential.

To Skipro3, Yes it does. Back in the day, I would sit and wait for the new motorcyle mags for test riding the MX bikes and how the suspension both front and back would change from year to year (1979,1980,1981). Only because if left to the manufacturers, one would need an inseam of 60 inches to sit on a bike, too much of a good thing i.e. suspension travel. Maybe in its simplest terms and maybe we all analyze things too much! I must thank my wife for getting this bike for me (KDX200), she must think that the life insurance check will come much faster if I don't upgrade faster!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope with practice, riding the KDX200. Someday, I hope I may reach 90% of the bike's potential with the USD conversion.

I would like to take a minute to thank my wife for typing this as it would take me two days to post this message what she did in 20 minutes. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TYPE, I HUNT AND PECK!!! Forgive me, those that do this for a living are more well versed than I. Your welcome, his wife!!!!
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I imagine that with poor enough performance out of ones forks it could become a crashing issue. I've had several bikes that that was the situation. With proper springs and revalving, other than the underhang situation, I don't at all think that the forks on the KDX would be enough of a real problem that crashing could be attributed to them. I've never snagged a fork leg because it hangs too low, but maybe I'm not pushing the envelope as much as some of these other guys. I've been able to revalve and respring my forks so that they give me confidence that the front end will always stick in just about any reasonable situation (no washing out on corners, etc,). That being said, I certainly can see the limits of the performance of these stock forks, but I wouldn't say that that limit is something that would put me on the ground. I must have confidence in my front end, period. If I didn't, I'd change the forks. Proper tire selection is critical also. I currently run an M12 Michelin which is the best front tire I've ever had. I'm just about ready to change it (worn out) with a MS3 Michelin and see if I can get even better handling with it (it should do better in sand). Good luck with your decision.
'95 200H
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The underhang is a huge issue if you ride anywhere that has deep ruts. But the biggest difference that i've noticed between the conventional fork and the USD forks is the lack of wandering that the USD's have. You don't realize how much the stock forks flex (and not always at the best of times) and the difference it makes in how precise your control becomes with its gone. Its a neat feeling to point your bike at something that would toss you all over the place with stock forks and truck right on thru it because the forks absorbed the shock instead of deflecting off to the side.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

AMEN! :prayer:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I haven't had a deflection problem with my stock forks, but I've spent considerable time making adjustments to my gold valves until I've gotten decent performance out of them. One of the best things you can do is to reduce the high speed compression about as much as possible on them. This tends to add considerable control to the handling. Still, the performance I'd like I can't completely obtain from these forks. I can't get the overall level of plushness I prefer. The limits of the forks can clearly be seen at high speeds. They just can't handle the smaller trail nasties that better forks could (5th and 6th gear aggressive stuff). Even with those limitations I still have been able to work with them enough that the performance is reasonable and controllable enough to keep me safely upright.
'95 200H
cmot

Post by cmot »

Hi IT175, I agree ,I disagree, I too weigh 240lb and used the stock forks with springs and valving for years. They won't cause you to crash unless your'e seriously overriding thier/youre ability. They work good for the masses. Iv'e ridden for 35 years constantly and have no problem with underhang. But I also don't live in heavy rocks and if the rut is that deep I stay out of it and take a different line. I also believe the underhang gives the brake rotor a certain amount of protection. :rolleyes: Buttt On the otherhand when you have superior suspension it makes anyyone ride better/more securely and will save your unmentionables when you do get in over your head. I have frt and rear KX125 regular forks and shock and I find myself saying I'll just recochete off that sucker log because it won't hurt, When before I wouldn't do that and thats kinda a neat thing to do. So if you have the money then a big yes for the forks and shock. You will need to balance the suspension:lol: :lol:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I not saying the KDX Conventional Forks will cause you to crash more, if you have the proper springs for your weight & a GOOD FRONT TIRE. I have had a couple of snags with the underhang-(Ruts & Logs), but the USD are pretty much POINT & SHOOT and it does not deflect like the stock. My stock were far better after having them worked on for my weight & style riding, but th USD allow you much more adjustabilty & ride quality
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

My 2¢ worth:
The properly setup stock KDX suspension is adequate for the average trail rider on the average trail riding at an average pace. It does exactly as it was designed to do. However, there are limitations and problem areas. In the right place at the wrong time the overhang can and will get you. If you never ride the deep ruts or sheer rock trails you wouldn't know. As for flex, if you ride hard through whoops or hit the trail hard and attack large roots and rocks, the stock forks can and will flex (which will lead to internal damage) and they pound the crap out of your hands and arms. If you never felt this then you probably are an average rider on the average trail riding at an average pace and the stock forks are adequate. An additional benefit of the USD forks is their wide range of adjustability, including rebound that can and does actually do something. I know from my own experience that now I can comfortably ride the whoops and the trails here that are a continual line of deep holes with ease where as before I would get the snot pounded out of me and the front end would be all over the trail, bouncing off trees. With the USD forks the suspension is very balanced and I now have control when I ride at my desired pace, which is about the same as the MX bikes in the woods, and that makes it safer...for me.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My primary reason for changing to USD was the OEM underhang. It got me stuck on a regular basis. The bottom of my OEM forks looked they'ed been used for pogo sticks.

And so they had been.

My OEM forks were sprung, valved, and setup as perfectly as I could imagine. Indeed, the hydraulics of my OEM forks were better than my KX forks are currently. Offing the underhang is GREAT! Now I get stuck via footpegs, not the OEM forks. :wink:

I finally noticed I had a damper when I put on the KX forks. My WER did little on the OEM setup. I changed to 20W oil in an attempt to 'make' it do something. My riding buddy (following..watching) said, 'Your damper isn't doing a damn thing!'

But it was the forks that were the root of that...NOT the damper. With the rigidity of the KX forks, the damper has at least the chance to work. It's still not a Scotts, but it at least does something.

If your wife is doing the typing, start another thread asking about the safety and wisdom of using a steering damper... :wink: She'll get to read all sorts of + inputs about THEM, too.

Anyway...yes it is both a confidence AND safety issue. You will LOVE a set of UpDownSide forks! :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 03:13 pm May 15 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

WOW!!! Thanks a lot for all the responses. I have a very good idea on which way to go. Everyone response makes sense to me. If I change, it will most likely be a winter project ( living in wisconsin I'll have 5 months to do it ) :grin: I will now go back to searching past posts about gathering the required parts. If anyone out there would like to send a list of parts needed, send list to rgross6@wi.rr.com
Also, if anyone has or knows how to get needed parts let me know. Does anyone have a blue print of the axle I'll need to make? Would greatly apprecitate it! Thank you all very much! :supz: :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Everything you need to know is in this forum

KX USD Fork Conversion
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=104
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: need to make

You're one'a those machinist types? If so, a simple measurement of your KXfork/KDXwheel setup should suffice.

Phil's done it.

For us simple folk, a KX wheel/axle is the...well...simpler route.

As far as suggestions (read: opines), getting everything at once from the same source/bike likely presents the smallest chance for getting mismatched parts. I didn't have that choice, got my parts separately. That caused me some trouble. Besides maybe making a mistake yourself in regard to what fits what (that was my case), you have to consider that the person SELLING the parts may not know what year/model he's selling!

That's happened to riders on this board, too.

IF you get a fork/wheel/clamp setup that came off a particular bike...you won't have (hopefully) fitment issue.

Newer KX forks are larger in diameter than not-so-new forks. Don't take this as gospel 'cuz I haven't had any reason to pay attention to it (it's probably in Inda's KX info thread), but one of the dividing lines is around '00 when they changed from 46 to 48mm forks. Obviously that impacts the triple clamps..and the offsets changed somewhere around there, too.

Inda has a good post on offsets if you're wondering about that.

Just went looking for it...found the dotted line version, but not the better graphic.
**edit**

It's here!

I don't know of anything you need to know that's missing on this site. If you DO have a question, summon (meaning ask politely) yur typist to get the answer. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!