Question about delta force 3 reed cage

Got questions? We got answers....
grump99

Question about delta force 3 reed cage

Post by grump99 »

Hello, I just got my DF3 in the mail. I went to install it and I noticed that the inner reeds allow light through them where as the outer reeds do not. The inner reeds have a small gap under them (maybe a few sheets of paper thick). The 607's I took out fit very snug against the reed block. I could remove the outer reeds, but could not figure out the inner ones. Is that small gap ok? I installed them that way and the bike started easy and idled well, good power overall. Am I just being paranoid? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

You could call Moto Tassinari and get the answer. I never even looked at mine when I installed it. Their web FAQ says:

3.) This is absolutely not a problem and will not affect performance in any way. When you consider the reed petals are opening and closing 133 times per second at 8¸000 RPM, the petal will never actually fully seal 100%, so a small gap is not a concern.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Ok, that makes me feel better :grin: . Guess I was just a little paranoid. I figured out how to get the inner reeds out from the web site. Thanks so much!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The reeds close on the back pressure. So they will be forced closed at that time. The fact they "float" a little off the stops is a good thing. That indicates the intake gas/air mix does not have to overcome the reed pedals tension as much as your old reeds caused. This should result in more voume of fuel mix to your motor. Jetting might even need to be leaned out a tad but check it first with a plug chop. Plug chops on any motor mod is a good practice to see how your motor is reacting to the change.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

In regards to 607's and their install. I have them in with the little metal tabs they (Boyesen) included plus the stock pieces that are bent out like wings or petals. On pg. 2-18 of the service manual they label it as , reed holder. (Forgive me for not knowing what they are called) Is this correct? So it goes; reed cage, reeds, Boyesen provided tabs, holder. P.S. All apologies for hijacking this post. :roll:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I installed mine without the 'wings'. I'm sure the instructions said to do it that way.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I was going to pull the wings and see what happens.
Anyone else go sans wings?
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I removed the wings when I put my 607's on. They seemed to work fine with no damage after 400 miles.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

No wings. The aftermarket reeds are designed to open farther than the oem reeds.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks gentlemen.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: paranoid

I was (if that's what you want to call it). I DID call and ask about it. The enclosed 'instructions' didn't say anything about it and I didn't bother checking the web FAQ.

They said it was fine.

I don't care for their point of view...but what are you going to do about it?

Makes as much sense to me as seeing daylight past a piston ring. 'It's fine. It will seat with combustion pressure!'

I'd call BS on THAT!

Yeah...I get the 'unstick' part of it. With an oil seal, a reed that is tensed TO the cage can be pretty darn good-n stuck. I want it to contact (close) the cage, but open with NO resistance.

I'm not picky!

They work great...so what they look like doesn't concern me. Well, notwithstanding ragged, frayed edges on the petals!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!