Fuel ergonomics....

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

Fuel ergonomics....

Post by motorhed220 »

How do all u guys go on Huge ass trips into the boonies, where there is NO civilisation, and stay topped up on fuel? And is about 100-110 km to a tank good for a KDX?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

I would like to know something similar, how far (in miles) is a 99 KDX200 expected to get on a stock tank just doing trail riding? I have gone 55mi on the tank but forgot to check how much was left before I filled up
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I used 2 large MSR backpacking stove fuel bottles. Each holds about 36 oz. I poured them in as soon as the tank was low enough to take one to keep the weight out of my backpack as soon as I could.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Motorhed220 - Seems like both my boys' KDX 200s are good for 70-75 miles of typical trail riding I think that equates to roughly 110 km. Don't know if the 220 are more thirsty than the 200s or not. My KTM has a longer range and thus additional fuel is available from the old man's tank but has not been necessary yet to feed a KDX. (The little Suzuki 80 of a few years ago was a different story though - since it always was thirsty)

I used to carry a quart size plastic fuel bottle on the cross-bar of my handle bars for emergency fuel. As I've aged the distance I travel from the truck has decreased in proportion to my energy :sad:

Have a friend who had a strap-on .8 gallon tank which attached to the forks over the number plate. To me this was the best additional fuel supply carrying method that I have seen.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I commonly got 70-75 (115-120km) before I hit reserve. I haven't checked that in awhile..I don't have an odo no more.

(your mileage may vary!) Your jetting setup will be critical to reaching that distance/economy.

As far as, 'How do..', on our 120-130 mile rides, we stash fuel with lunch about 1/2 way through the loop. Just so happens we drive right past the 1/2 way point on the way to the staging area, so it's not a hassle.

Well...until some absolute prick steals the gas. That's happened...but only AFTER we've been there and refueled.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!