What fork springs to buy?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Kuhn

What fork springs to buy?

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

I am in the market for new stiffer fork springs. I was curious if anyone has bought the Fredette Racing Fork Springs and what their luck was with them. How about the Race Tech springs? If there is any other products out there or cost effective alternatives I would love to hear them. Thanks.
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Do a search on springs and you'll get a ton of info.

I'm 200lbs and use Race Techs .42kg/mm. A lot of people use stock XR400 springs, as they are longer and you don't need to use a long spacer for preload. I've got a set of .40kg/mm (my 2000 XR4) sitting at home that I just replaced if you are interested.

Race Tech has a spring rate calculator for your weight, but it always seems a little high to me. FRP has some good info at:
http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/suspensionTips.aspx
Roland C

Post by Roland C »

I've got the Fredette springs. .40kg/mm if I remember right. Stock valving. Works fine for me (I'm not super-aggresive). I'm running about 170# nekkid. Prolly 180 w/ gear.
'02 KDX200
'00 TTR125L
'02 SV650S
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

In my stock forks, I went with .38s I weigh 190 with gear.

<edit> oh, and they were the XR 400 springs.
Last edited by Colorado Mike on 11:19 am May 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Roland C

Post by Roland C »

Actually, I think mine were the .38s also.
'02 KDX200
'00 TTR125L
'02 SV650S
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I am running Fredette's .38kg springs. I had originally ordered from Race Tech and they set me up with .42's I didn't even ride with them because they sounded like a pogo-stick. I called Jeff and he said that Race Tech suggests spring rates too stiff. You might like that if your a motocross, track dude who likes big air. I like riding the gnarliest terrain this side of a trials bike so that is what I am running a love 'em. I way 190 all booted up. I am also running Race Tech 2.5-5wt oil at 100mm from the top of the tubes. I like it but have not compared it to Jeff's recommended 7wt. I like quick action so it seems to be okay. I am definitely going for Gold valves as soon as my wife stops paying attention.