tail light on the fritz

Got questions? We got answers....
liv2ride626

tail light on the fritz

Post by liv2ride626 »

When I bought my bike in feb, the tail light would work if you hit it, and then when you were riding it and hit a bump it would flicker on and off (mostly off). Now it is off all the time. The bulb is fine, im thinking its got something to do with the wiring. I have NO experience with wiring and to be honest it confuses me a little so if you could pt stuff in lamans terms i would be greatly appreciative :grin: :grin:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You most likely have a short somewhere in the wiring. Check the wiring for any exposed sections that are rubbing the frame or being pinched somewhere.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

looked the best i could and couldnt see anything
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your bulb could have an intermittent short in it also....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Just another thought, Every one likes to use the word short circuit to relate to wiring problems......, NOT always the case......, It could be a ground problem and, or, an open circuit.

Maybe the socket is a little oxidized and not making good contact with the bulb.

Another thing, sometimes the base of the light socket is stuck... in other words, there is a spring that makes the phenolic base of the bulb socket, making contact to the bulb.

Sometimes it can be the wire that comes through the bulb socket, it is to tight to let the spring push the phenolic base out to make contact with the bulb (via the water proof grommet that the wires go through).

JMO,

Ron
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

cool thanks for the advice, Im gonna have some time tomorrow so ill work on my bike a little and I will try some of that stuff if i get everything else done.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

What Ron said. Also, If you have a meter, it'll help to trace the problem. I would start at the connector that is under the seat and runs back to the light. Measure to the contact in the socket. should be danged close to zero ohms. If it's open, wiggle stuff (the wiring on the bike) and see if it comes down to 0. Check the ground circuit too, from the socket housing to the bolt head the grond is connected to.
If there is any corrosion, clean it out, or better yet, replace the socket.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220