Aluminum or Steal rear sprocket ?

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

Aluminum or Steal rear sprocket ?

Post by beeds3000 »

I'm new to the dirt bike thing and my bike needs a new rear sprocket what is better an Aluminum or Steal one? also is there any difference between the two thanks ???
Geoff T. Biderman
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Weight would be the biggest difference.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Either material will provide suitable service...directly related to the maintenance of the final drive.

Here's an important item to consider..what does it look like. ;)

Some aluminum sprockets are just plain ugly!!

If your rear sprocket it shot, chances of your chain being any good are slim to none. Putting a new sprocket with an old chain will get you a right-quick-worn-out sprocket.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I just bought a new chain and a set of STEEL sprockets to go with it. I like the wear-ability factor of steel sprockets. I don't believe I've ever seen an aluminum countershaft sprocket. I'm assuming that the longevity of steel is the reason why.
'95 200H
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I bought a Titax aluminum from RockyMountain and it's lasted VERY well. Steel front, and get two so you can swap them about mid-chain-life.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Go with a good quality steel sprocket... once the aluminum one starts to go... it usually doesn't take too long before it's shot.

I'm trying out that Z-Sprocket from monkeybuttparts.com this year....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

From my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of sprockets you buy if you buy a cheap chain and it continues to stretch beyond the initial "new" stretching, the sprockets will be toast in no time.

I always buy the best chain I can afford, then run sprockets of choice. For example, I once owned a YZ250 2 stroke, and went with a renthal front and Tag aluminum rear. Good sprockets, right? I then found a Tsubaki QR Pro gold non-o ring chain and after about 10 hours on the bike, both the chain and sprockets were junk. 10 Hours! Proper lube, adjustment, half sand, half hard packed conditions.

On the same bike, I replaced the sprockets with the same Renthal front and Tag rear, but used an RK X-Ring and never lubed it, except for hosing it with WD40 after a washing after each ride. Guess what? A chain and sprocket set that lasted an entire season, I even sold the bike with that set on there and it still looked new. I only had to adjust it once. Sand, mud, dry, etc.

On my KDX, the first thing I did was replace the stock chain with an RK X-Ring and kept the steel stock sprockets. Adjusted once, and I'm still good. :supz:
FAZ
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Bailey28 wrote: Tag rear, but used an RK X-Ring and never lubed it, except for hosing it with WD40 after a washing after each ride. Guess what? A chain and sprocket set that lasted an entire season, I even sold the bike with that set on there and it still looked new. I only had to adjust it once. Sand, mud, dry, etc.
I have an RK on my KDX and was going to tell you that I've adjusted it like twice in the past year, but figured ya'll would think I was some kind of squid or something so I kept my mouth shut. But, yup...RK O-ring. I use Maxima Chain Wax after most rides but that's it. Good chains, IMHE.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125