Transmission shaft swap

Got questions? We got answers....
baggins15

Transmission shaft swap

Post by baggins15 »

Greetings. I've recently bought a 96 KDX200. I purchase a new (used) input shaft, part number 13127-1237, and the seller sent me the input shaft for the 89-94 models, part number 13127-1175. I will not name the seller but he is well known in the KDX circle and knows his stuff. So my question is can this 1175 input shaft that I've bought be interchanged with the newer 1237 shafts.

From my research, it looks like they quit making the 1175 shafts and just only sell the 1237 which means they interchange one way, but my question is can they be swapped the other way. i.e putting the older shaft in a newer bike. They only difference is on the clutch side of the shaft, the threads stop early and there is a small metal lip on the end of the 1175 model whereas the 1237 model just has the threads going all the way to the end.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thank you all.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Transmission shaft swap

Post by Slick_Nick »

Different part number usually means it's incompatible. You are confused and thinking of a part number supercession. Kawasaki will append a letter to the end of the part number if it's revised, etc. But the number itself usually doesn't change.

Try and see if it fits I guess?
'00 KDX 220R
baggins15

Post by baggins15 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 08:46 am Aug 12 2021 Different part number usually means it's incompatible. You are confused and thinking of a part number supercession. Kawasaki will append a letter to the end of the part number if it's revised, etc. But the number itself usually doesn't change.

Try and see if it fits I guess?
All the gears fit on the shaft and everything seems to be good to go. I just hate to rebuild this whole engine then to find out it doesn't work and have to redo everything.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

IIRC, the transmissions (as a whole) between the two models are completely swap-able. Individual parts I'm not sure.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

13127-1237 Supersedes 13127-1175

From the parts fiche. As SS109 mentions, the transmissions in the E and H/220s are basically identical
baggins15

Post by baggins15 »

Thank you all for the input. I’m gonna send it. I will respond later whether it all worked out or not.
baggins15

Post by baggins15 »

Following up.

Ive put everything together and have been cruising the neighborhood just breaking everything in. Shifts through all the gears fine and seems to be working correctly. If anyone has to replace a new shaft with an old one of the part numbers listed above, I would say go ahead. I just slid my gears onto the new (old) shaft that I bought.

Thanks again for everyones input.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on getting it back together and running! Now ride the hell out of it :grin: