Someone please help KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
MattScott

Someone please help KIPS

Post by MattScott »

So I’m rebuilding my top end on 98’ KDX200 and I thought I’d disassemble the KIPS to clean it up. When I was taking it apart I must have lost the little spring that the ball bearing sits on (part 92081). I can’t find this spring anywhere. I’ve checked Kawasaki oem parts and partszilla. Both say “unavailable”. Does anyone know where I can get this spring? Does anyone have one? I’ll pay way more than it’s worth. It’s driving me crazy that one tiny spring has been holding up progress.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Someone please help KIPS

Post by John_S »

You can complete the assembly without that ball and spring. After reading that Jeff fredette recommended running without them I’ve had mine out for years. The ONLY difference is that it gets on the pipe quicker than before. It doesn’t make the KIPS rattle like someone else mentioned. If I wanted to reinstall them I could do it just by taking off the slotted cover and the bolt that the spring sits in. Speaking of that bolt. It’s hollow and a couple people on here have thought they lost the spring only to find it still inside the bolt.
MattScott

Post by MattScott »

Ok so should just screw the hollow bolt back in and forget about putting in a spring and the ball bearing ( I still have bb)?? If that’s the case, that would awsome. Thanks for your help.
MattScott

Post by MattScott »

One last question since you seem pretty knowledgeable…what do you suggest I use to clean the gunk out of my Kips? And clean up top end in general??
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

outside of the cylinder? steel parts, E-Z Off oven cleaner

NOT ON ALUMINUM
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yup, I agree, running without the detent ball and spring is a non-issue.

I normally clean the aluminum powervalve components and inside the cylinder with Awesome and a brass brush. Like most tough cleaners don't let it dry on the aluminum and rinse thoroughly when done.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I let the KIPS components soak in Kerosene for a couple hours and then hit them with a wire brush. They weren't all that bad to begin with though. Inside the cylinder I used a green scotch brite pad with dish soap and water.

So your spring wasn't hiding in the hollow bolt?