Handlebar Bushing /Cone question

Got questions? We got answers....
mcbeth.059

Handlebar Bushing /Cone question

Post by mcbeth.059 »

My handlebar bushings are worn out and in having a hard time finding a replacement. I did find the ones made by Scott's, but they would cost me $80 to get to me.

I've thought about making my own out of polyurethane bushing material, but even that seems hard to come by.
I've got a race on Saturday, and I'm now worried that I won't be able to make it.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Handlebar Bushing /Cone question

Post by Slick_Nick »

If you need 'em quick, sounds like you'll have to pony up for the Scotts ones. If you did a KLX for swap, you'd have a solid top clamp and no need for bushings.
'00 KDX 220R
mcbeth.059

Post by mcbeth.059 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 08:14 am Jul 20 2021 If you need 'em quick, sounds like you'll have to pony up for the Scotts ones. If you did a KLX for swap, you'd have a solid top clamp and no need for bushings.
The Scott's ones also wouldn't get here on time. I'm debating turning my own out of aluminum, while only temporary it could work. I just don't know about the added vibration
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Would a skateboard bushing kit help in a pinch?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
mcbeth.059

Post by mcbeth.059 »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:24 am Jul 20 2021 Would a skateboard bushing kit help in a pinch?
The coworker who's helping me with the aluminum one also suggested a skateboard bushing. I don't know how much I'm allowed to get away with in terms of a fit. Have there been cases of the skateboard bushing working?
mcbeth.059

Post by mcbeth.059 »

Going to follow up my own comment. Fortunately I work with a bunch of degens who skateboard lol

It looks like the bushings made by Independent are almost the exact same size as our rubber cones (other brands differed slightly in size). Although not the same shape, and you would need to use both parts of the bushing to replace the cone.
Fortunately the tapered section should fit, but I don't know if it not matching the shape would have ill effects. I will follow up again after I go to the skate shop after work.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Independent. Accept nothing less. (holds up his blue 159's bought in 1988) :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The shape does matter. If its not a tight friction fit then the bar clamps will be moving anytime they come under lateral (turning) loads. The solid aluminum cones work fine and IMO the added vibration is negligible unless you suffer from killer carpal tunnel. I went from rubber mounted to solid mounted on my hybrid and can't tell any difference in the dirt. YMMV.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I went with solid aluminum cones also. A little more vibration but not significant to me.
mcbeth.059

Post by mcbeth.059 »

bufftester wrote: 02:37 pm Jul 20 2021 The shape does matter. If its not a tight friction fit then the bar clamps will be moving anytime they come under lateral (turning) loads. The solid aluminum cones work fine and IMO the added vibration is negligible unless you suffer from killer carpal tunnel. I went from rubber mounted to solid mounted on my hybrid and can't tell any difference in the dirt. YMMV.
The skateboard bushings do have a taper to them, just not quite as coned as the stock ones. I think that they would create enough friction to not allow much movement. They could also be shaved down to match the shape more as well.
KDXGarage wrote: 01:03 pm Jul 20 2021 Independent. Accept nothing less. (holds up his blue 159's bought in 1988) :-)
So both the skate shops I went to on the way home were sold out of truck bushings. Which seemed odd to me. I'm going to make some aluminum ones tomorrow then.
doakley wrote: 07:02 pm Jul 20 2021 I went with solid aluminum cones also. A little more vibration but not significant to me.
Did you make your cones or buy them?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I bought them. From RMATV/MC as I recall.