1986 KDX Timer/Odometer

Got questions? We got answers....
BM86KDX200

1986 KDX Timer/Odometer

Post by BM86KDX200 »

Any advice or input in regards to the timer/odometer on the 86 kdx 200. The bike i recently bought has been in storage for 20 years. The timer/ odometer is in beautiful shape . I replaced the 4 AA batteries in the battery pack and tried the power button. Have no power to timer /no display of any kind. My engine is out for repairs but my thought process ( i could be wrong ) is the battery pack powers the wires to the odometer unit on the front hub. Has anyone have experience or input on these units. Has anyone sent one in to an electronic shop for repairs ? If so where did you send it.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1986 KDX Timer/Odometer

Post by KDXGarage »

Are the two panels dark black?

Have you used a volt meter?

The timer should start counting as soon as it comes on.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I have an 87 and the displays are dark and non functional as is common. I did a bit of research but never came up with a fix. If I do anything I’ll either use one of the new modern instruments or convert it to a cable operated analog instrument.

Meanwhile, the digital displays on my 85 XR350R, 86 Elite 150 scooter, and 86 Goldwing Aspencade still work as new.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nobody wants to hear about your Hondas. :-)

If the panels are black, I think they are toast.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:18 pm Jul 12 2021 Nobody wants to hear about your Hondas. :-)

If the panels are black, I think they are toast.
No offense meant. I just found it interesting.
I’m guessing that neither Kawasaki or Honda built their own LCD screens.

10 years ago when I bought my 87 KDX I looked into repairing the instrument but lost interest. As far as I could tell it was powering up and probably functional other than the display screens.

If you’re determined to repair it a peek inside might reveal the manufacturer. If they are still in business they might be able to help. There are also companies that specialize in instrument repair.

Years ago I bought a sailboat that had several instruments that were not functional. They were manufactured by Datamarine so I called them to ask about replacements that would be compatible with my sending units. To my surprise I was told that they offered remanufacturing if the units I had. As I recall I sent them 4 instruments and they all were returned in as new condition. It cost around $300 which could have easily been the cost of each instrument if I bought them new.

There’s almost certainly a way to repair the KDX display but it will take some research to make it happen. I still have mine and if you find a way to do it I’m sure that there are others on here that would like to hear about it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I was just playing. cool that they hooked you up on the boat gauges