220 SR to 220R

Got questions? We got answers....
chris_psmith

220 SR to 220R

Post by chris_psmith »

Looking on the bright side of owning a 220SR, I discovered on Friday that it is fitted with a 28mm carb and not a 33 :shock: , the bright side being I am much more likely to get a 35mm replacement than if it had a 33! :grin:
My question is, what else am I going to have to change, I am sure I will need a new carb to engine connection as this is currently for a 33mm bore, but what about the air box side? The current carb has a 50mm outlet to the air box and the box takes a 135mm diameter filter (sure a stock 220 is bigger). If anyone has any bits apart any chance of some measurements? My guess is I will need a carb and an air box.
On the up side, raced on Sunday, the bike was brilliant, dumping the lowering links has fixed the front end wash out (anyone wanting to try some 117mm lowering links can have them for the cost of the postage), lots of power even with a tiny carb, lifts the front in second with ease and nice and easy to control (13 / 49 gearing), my best race finish ever and only second time out on the bike.
regards
chris
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good to hear it worked OK.

For anyone reading this and not following...lowering the rear of the bike (increasing the pull rod length..stock is 112.5mm) will certainly effect the handling in the front. The forks would have to go up in the clamps a good bit to make the bike 'level' again.

BTW...whatever you do to the frontend..make sure your race sag is set on the backside first.

Yep. The SR is indeed 28mm.

Hopefully the non-US'rs with SRs will be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

My question was a bit screwed up reading it again, what I was after was the size of the air filter / carb to air box connection on a non SR KDX as I want to fit the carb from a KDX200 to it and need to know if I have to buy a carb and an air box. Anyone got one apart and can give me the diameters?
Ragards Chris
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wow...a week and no one has answered you? That's not good.

Where'd all the SR guys go?

KayD put a modified carb on his bike. I don't recall him saying anything about having to change the airbox-side boot.

If you don't get a response, PM him:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46

Consider the source

chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Thanks for the help, managed to find the info, for completeness if anyone else is looking on this site, you need a new air box to go with the larger carb, time to contact the breakers yard. :roll:
Regards Chris
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I aint got no steenkin SR !! lol Don't they have a steel tank and oil injection ???

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Steel tank, oil injection and the worst side stand I have ever seen mounted to a bike! On the plus side an ignition lock, steering lock, full wiring, trans oil light, coolant temperature light and some other useful bits.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I got all that with a plastic tank, no injection and my side stand is good. It mounts off the frame, not the swingarm.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh yeah...I kind'a think I vaguely recalled you NOT having no steenking SR, but I wasn't going to speak for 'ya!

There was a poster from Japan a long while back that changed to a 35mm PWK. He got a different airbox. That was another vaguely recalled 'bit'.

Glad a REAL KDXrider (aussie type) finally chipped in. Even IF his steenking bike is NOT an SR.

As long as you are fitting up for a 35mm, might as well get one bored to 36, plated and winged with four vent hoses!

Consider the source

chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

KD, any photos of the side stand, my one is mounted off the frame and is the biggest pile of pants I have ever had the misfortune to use, my last 200 had one on the arm and was much better.
My bike also had the benefit of being owned by someone who obviously had a tool kit that consisted of a couple of screwdrivers and a hammer (judging by the state of the fork seals I just changed and the fact that every nut was finger tight), I have never before purchased such a wonderful learning opportunity as this bike.
2 months in - complet crank case split and re-build, new fork seals, rear suspension link, re-wire harness, new front light, new air filter, new expansion tank, new chain and sprockets, tyres.... if my wife ever sees how much I have spent I will be in big trouble!