Tips for new owner

Got questions? We got answers....
Theo

Tips for new owner

Post by Theo »

I used to ride an 03 yz250, but haven't ridden in some years. I always loved my brothers 220 and picked up a '98 with '04kx 250 forks and some nice upgrades. It runs great and makes all the right sounds but I have been researching the kips and decided to pull the slotted cover and it functions as itshoukd when revved but but if I turn it by hand it rotates about 90 degrees or so both ways smoothly but does not spring back on its own. Should that be a reason for concern? Any other advice Thanks?
Thanks, Theo
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Tips for new owner

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, it's been a while since I've worked on the top end on my KDX so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but... IIRC, you really shouldn't be able to operate the KIPS by hand as the spring that regulates it is fairly stiff.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Trying to turn the KIPS actuator by hand can lead to breaking off the pin at the governor. Usually it happens when folks don't realize its left hand threaded at the top, but also when turning it by hand (or wrench).
Theo

Post by Theo »

Thanks, I'll not mess with that. But after riding a bit it moves more freely and returns