2 Question on fork oil ????

Got questions? We got answers....
TraceDeBrake

2 Question on fork oil ????

Post by TraceDeBrake »

Hi,

I'm new here.... great web site lots of good info ....

I bought a KDX 220 2001 and i'm in the process of rebuilding it.

I ordered a set of fork spring from RACE TECH to suit my weight.
what i'd like to know is the correct oil level,
(or what you guys had succes with ????) because RACE TECH only give you a range ...

and what grade of fork oil do you use .... because the manuel says 5W but the dealer says 10w ...... i did some research and it looks like from '97 up to 2000 they say 10W and 2001 and up it's 5W ( or vice versa don't have the number with me)

My fork use the stock valving by the way

thanks for your time

Pascal.
KDX 220 2001
---------------------
We Are What We Repeatedly Do.
Exellence Then Is Not An Act,
But A Habit
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I just replaced my fork oil. Went with Mobil 1 ATF fluid (about 7.5 weight I think) with a level of 110 mm. I'm not sure what the oem level is, but I like 110 so far. While you have your forks apart, you should consider removing 2 shims from the stock shim stack. It made my forks much less harsh in the rough stuff. Its a free mod and very easy to do. For reference I weigh 180# and use 0.41 xr 400 springs. Good luck!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's a pretty good starting point. I know lots of guys have removed the shims as Grump has said.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TraceDeBrake

Post by TraceDeBrake »

Thanks for all the good advice :grin:
KDX 220 2001
---------------------
We Are What We Repeatedly Do.
Exellence Then Is Not An Act,
But A Habit
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Nice Welcome to the site. You will like your new front end...With all rocks in our trails,this is a must.

Hey.. also you should explain to all of us what your nickname means! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OEM level spec is 100mm. Consider that may be specified as a 'match' for the very light springs that are also part of the OEM package. If you're going to use a spring that collapses way too fast for most rider's weight and riding environs, why not give yourself some added resistance on the deeper part of the stroke (as a small air-shock ..high oil-level..provides).

It's easier to add oil than to take it out. If you start with 115mm (example only) and find you're bouncing off the bottom of the stroke all the time, you can easily add oil through the OEM bleed screws.

There's a post somewhere here about that...the relationship between air space and oil volume. You can do the math knowing the fork diameter, Pi-r-squared and all that stuff to get the cc volume you need to raise the oil level xx mm.

I used 120mm on my OEM forks. They were revalved.

Welcome to the site!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

You sure you want that kdxquebec ? :twisted: :butthead:
1981 KDX 175
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

If you went with Race Techs spring stiffness recommendations I hope you are a very aggressive racer....then they'll be just right.

I run 7.5 wt. in my forks with the stock rebound shim stack. In my case I think that my rebound stack would be too light if I went to a lighter oil. That being said, I run Gold Valves with the lightest possible high speed compression stack and a middle of the road low speed compression stack (yes, that's a 2 stage stack). I weigh 230lbs (....Ok, 230 plus) and use Eibach .43kg springs (for the XR400) and 3mm of preload. I think I'm at 100mm (oil height), but I don't honestly remember. For my riding style I think I have things set up as good as they can be with the stock forks, FWIW.
'95 200H