Rattle at speed under load (not KIPS?)

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rattle at speed under load (not KIPS?)

Post by Goofaroo »

Yep. It looked cracked. It also looks like the bottom of the radiator has been bent backwards and the side bashed inward. I’m surprised it doesn’t leak but it could definitely be restricting the coolant flow.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 02:32 pm May 30 2021 Yep. It looked cracked. It also looks like the bottom of the radiator has been bent backwards and the side bashed inward. I’m surprised it doesn’t leak but it could definitely be restricting the coolant flow.
Heres a photo from above to show the kink better. Seems like a direct side hit, as its only bowed from the side.

Im not contradicting you, just trying to show everything I can, and I appreciate your help very much!
B9712054-DF12-4FAF-975A-2848A77F49CB.jpeg
B9712054-DF12-4FAF-975A-2848A77F49CB.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2352 times
emmett

Post by emmett »

I am in the process of uploading a youtube video so i can post of link of it running at idle with some revs. bikes fairly cold in the video but getting warmed up. once warm the idle is a little bit slower than when its cold. I assume thats normal, just the motor expanding when heated up. Ill post the link when its fully processed.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It sounds pretty healthy to me but we can’t hear what you’re hearing at high speeds. My guess is the chain, chain sliders, or only a stud where a roller used to be. Other than that it could be the radiator or something else loose and banging against something. A pipe mount? Have you looked the bike over for breaks or missing bolts?
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 03:45 pm May 30 2021 It sounds pretty healthy to me but we can’t hear what you’re hearing at high speeds. My guess is the chain, chain sliders, or only a stud where a roller used to be. Other than that it could be the radiator or something else loose and banging against something. A pipe mount? Have you looked the bike over for breaks or missing bolts?
I have been going over the bike and havent noticed any. rollers and guides are there. maybe i just toss a new chain on it to know how old it is. This things adding up! Ive got $2500 into it so far... (including my parts coming for the street legal setup which is about $450 of that.)
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

In the video your kickstarter looks like it needs to be moved forward a tooth or two. It appears to be contacting the frame. Is that the rattle you’re hearing?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Crappy pic but it should be here:
3E8D9FB5-673C-494B-B10D-DFDFA1ED1F0A.jpeg
3E8D9FB5-673C-494B-B10D-DFDFA1ED1F0A.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2346 times
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 04:00 pm May 30 2021 Crappy pic but it should be here:
3E8D9FB5-673C-494B-B10D-DFDFA1ED1F0A.jpeg
I definitely see that now. It has been slipping occasionally so I believe I need a new spring and gear. Not sure where to find those except ebay...

Thanks for that, nice catch!
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It’s probably slapping against the pipe.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Are splines shot? Can you not rotate it forward? What “gear and spring” are you referring to?
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

The bike doesn’t appear to have many hours on it. Take off the kickstarter and disassemble the hinge. Remove the set screw, the spring, and ball. Clean everything very thoroughly. Grease everything while assembling and then adjust the spring tension on the ball by turning the set screw. When it feels right and gives a satisfying click when folded in put it back on the shaft in the orientation shown in my pic. Most likely your problem will be solved and your starter will operate as new.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 04:05 pm May 30 2021 It’s probably slapping against the pipe.
no its not touching the pipe. the rattle/pinging im hearing seemed to be consistent with the firing of the motor, but im not ruling out chain yet, as that is a consistent noise (not with motor, but still consistent).
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 04:08 pm May 30 2021 Are splines shot? Can you not rotate it forward? What “gear and spring” are you referring to?
I cannot rotate it forward. I was referring to the kickstart gear and the spring that gives it tension. I have heard that the gear will tend to wear and slip, or that the spring will not hold enough tension. I havent dug into it yet so my understanding of how it works is minimal...
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 04:26 pm May 30 2021 The bike doesn’t appear to have many hours on it. Take off the kickstarter and disassemble the hinge. Remove the set screw, the spring, and ball. Clean everything very thoroughly. Grease everything while assembling and then adjust the spring tension on the ball by turning the set screw. When it feels right and gives a satisfying click when folded in put it back on the shaft in the orientation shown in my pic. Most likely your problem will be solved and your starter will operate as new.
I will do that now, thanks!
emmett

Post by emmett »

Pulled the screw, spring, and ball out. lever wont slide off. It slides up but gets stuck on something.

I decided to try and remove the bolt holding it on, which is also proving to be stubborn. tried some heat but afraid of what ill fry around there.

Wish me luck, and hope i dont make this worse...
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I assume you removed the spring clip and the washer that holds the arm on? It should just pull off but I’m guessing yours has never been serviced. Work it off of there and clean it thoroughly. Put the assembly back together but in the correct orientation. Then let’s see if that fixes everything as far as your starter is concerned.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 06:04 pm May 30 2021 I assume you removed the spring clip and the washer that holds the arm on? It should just pull off but I’m guessing yours has never been serviced. Work it off of there and clean it thoroughly. Put the assembly back together but in the correct orientation. Then let’s see if that fixes everything as far as your starter is concerned.
Yes i pulled the clip and washer off, but that did not help. I really need to get the bolt that holds the kickstarter on out, but cant seem to do that while its slipping all over the place.

After fumbling with it for some time, its clear that the slipping issue is with the gear inside of the case. I'm not going to tackle that tonight, so ive buttoned that back up for now. That will require a little deeper digging and draining that fresh oil i just put in there... :doh:
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It’s a common mistake to not have the spring end in it’s hole when the clutch cover is installed. Maybe this’ll be a simple fix.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Goofaroo wrote: 07:00 pm May 30 2021 It’s a common mistake to not have the spring end in it’s hole when the clutch cover is installed. Maybe this’ll be a simple fix.
I believe that would cause the kickstarter to not return, correct? Mine returns fine, the teeth inside just slip every few kicks.