Advanced Timing Question

Got questions? We got answers....
cfspawn

Advanced Timing Question

Post by cfspawn »

Hey all..
Had something pop into me head before and wondered what everyone thought.
when I replaced my exciter coil on my stator i noticed my timing was advanced by one notch (there are 3 lines) so i reset it back to factory which is the middle line or notch as said in the manual. When i rode the bike it felt a little restricted but had heaps more bottom end. so i put it back to the advanced setting as it gives me more top end. Is this the right thing to do or should i leave it at the factory setting, and does it hurt anything mech wise running advanced? your thoughts would be great as i am thinkin of putting it back to standard.
Thanks guys. :twisted:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If I had to guess I'd say thats the difference between the 89 and 90-94 E KDX's. The 89 had its timing slightly retarded vs. the 90-94 KDX's which was advanced for more top end HP.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

It really comes down to your preference. If your riding for the day is going to consist of needing lots of lowend, than Retard-needing lots Rev than- Advanced.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Yep the adjustment is put there for you to use (tailor your bike's performance to a degree). If I recall correctly - it is even spelled out in the service manual.

IMO - Too much of anything is not likely always good mech. wise - I view this ignition advance/retard as an indication by the design engineers on what they believed was acceptable range of ignition timing based upon some preset parameters. I've played with the ignition timing a little bit and I think that if your running a rev pipe and want a little more low end grunt there is some to be had. If I recall correctly we changed the main jet one size and got back most of the over-rev after retarding the ignition.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

YEah thats awsome. I realise its personal preference but not to sure what setting would be best for the woods probably bottom end to get out of the thick stuff.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: the advanced setting as it gives me more top end

That is incorrect.

re: got back most of the over-rev after retarding the ignition.

That is correct.

As long as you're going to be moving things around...maybe start with knowing what said movement is going to effect/accomplish.

BTW...looking at it, the KDX FW rotates CCW. To advance the timing you move the stator clockwise...and versa vicey.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^ CC is right....These aren't 4strokes! :mrgreen: Timing is basically opposite in theory. A small adjustment is all that's needed also. Well unless you're timing for methanol or something...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I advanced mine a little past the most advanced mark to enhance bottom end.
'95 200H