Hopped up 220R vs KX250(Stock)

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Kuhn

Hopped up 220R vs KX250(Stock)

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

I am sure there is a few guys on this sight that have done"All" the hop ups and tricks to their KDX's. I want to know if its ever going to approach the power threashold of a 2-Stroke motocross bike in a stock form. With all the tricks can a guy expect 40+ HP from a KDX or is that just wishful thinking. This would be without increasing the displacment from the stock 218cc. Any thoughts. :rolleyes:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, a fully tricked out one gets close and can be wicked off the bottom(more so than a MX-er)...The wide ratio trans makes it a whole different beast as well.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Close but i'm not sure 40HP is in the cards. The KDX doesn't have quite the same power that a 250 MX does but it has a much better spread of usable woods friendly power than a 250 MX does stock. No doubt that with work a 250 MXer is going to usable in the woods, but its not its intended application. Skipro runs a KX250 and also has a KDX220. Both of them are pretty well tricked out. He has a post describing all the changes he went thru to get it woods friendly.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
krazyinski

Re: Hopped up 220R vs KX250(Stock)

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
KDX_Kuhn wrote:I am sure there is a few guys on this sight that have done"All" the hop ups and tricks to their KDX's. I want to know if its ever going to approach the power threashold of a 2-Stroke motocross bike in a stock form. With all the tricks can a guy expect 40+ HP from a KDX or is that just wishful thinking. This would be without increasing the displacment from the stock 218cc. Any thoughts. :rolleyes:
no and depends on what tricks you do but if want to MX a KDX get a KX. trails verses track what are yoy really trying to ask? In the woods HP is over rated! usable power and smoothness are the factors . A stock KX is to spastic and harsh in the woods, but might do in the desert WOT the KDX is a woods bike. A tricked out KDX is a fast comfortable and very forgiving Woods bike. climbs like a goat turns on a dime. on a track its out of its element. drag racing or dyno testing two bikes is not comparing just stupidity. because its only 1/4 of the equation.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hopped up 220R vs KX250(Stock)

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX_Kuhn wrote:I am sure there is a few guys on this sight that have done"All" the hop ups and tricks to their KDX's. I want to know if its ever going to approach the power threashold of a 2-Stroke motocross bike in a stock form. With all the tricks can a guy expect 40+ HP from a KDX or is that just wishful thinking. This would be without increasing the displacment from the stock 218cc. Any thoughts. :rolleyes:
Hmmmm, I'm not sure why anyone would want a woods / trail / enduro bike to have the motor characteristics of a stock KX250.

The KDX220 motor is very "bolt up" tunable and can make the best bike around for single track riding or racing if the rest of the bike is also given the same attention as the motor.
If you are asking if a stock KX250 has it over a well prepped KDX with the right mods and tuned correctly, then I would say no. Not even close. I eat stock 2 stroke MX bikes for breakfast on the trails. From the low flywheel mass resulting in constant stalling, to the pipe hit at about 5000 rpm, the KX250, bone stock, can not hope to keep up with a well prepared KDX.
Now, if you are interested in finding out if a KX250 can be prepared to succeed on the single track terrain the KDX was designed for, then rest assured, it can be made to perform quite well on the trails. It will take just as much money and time as a KDX though. Well, maybe more. That stock KX tank is nothing but trouble. It will get you about 35 or 40 miles from your truck, then leave you pushing. There's not even a reserve on that thing. So right off, expect to shell out a couple of bills for a tank to get you to where the good riding is. (And back again, of course)
Once you have a woods-ready KX250, you will really have something. It's like a KDX that's been given a shot of adrenilan. Your heart beats way too fast and there's super human strengh behind that throttle. I only recommend the KX250 for the woods if the individual is prepared to spend the time and money to set it up right and wants to ride really, really fast.
I invested in a KX250 for woods riding in order to keep up with riding buddies with way too much discresionary income. The KTM525's, Husky 450's and Husaberg 550's are all jelous that a jap 250 from 2002 can take them on in any challenge not involving a flat out drag race; like wide open desert running.

Hope I answered your question.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And you gave me SH!T When I asked you if you were going to get one of those butt ugly IMS tanks... :snooty:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I NEVER!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whose but is ugly?

I don't now, never have, likely never will understand the continued wondering, pondering and comparison between (in this case) two so unlike machines.

If you want good gas mileage (damn the cost of a battery pack..about $12,000), buy a Prius.

If you want to have FUN...buy a Shelby GT500.

Will the Prius ever make 475 ponies?

Well, does the Prius have a roots huffer on it?

Sheesh.....

Get what works for where it's supposed to work. Yep. The Prius can run the 1/4 mile, just like the Shelby can. Give each a gallon of so-called 'gasoline'...and see how many trips each can run on that 1/4 track......

Sure. A KX can run in the woods and a KDX can run on a track....but a Prius ain't never gonn'a make 475 horses.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

I too,was in the same situation.I'm 48 yrs old and getting back into {TRAIL RIDING] after raising a family. After doing much research on this site and DRN it came down to this... A KDX with UDS fork kit or KX 250 with flywheel weights and lighting kit, bigger tank, etc, etc. I bought a 2001 KDX 200 in Hartford, WI. :grin:
I would like to thank this site for all the reserch I was able to do. I'm very happy with my choice that I made. My two cents worth.

P.S. If you want hp get a KX 500, why because I thought about it too and haven't ruled it out yet. :supz:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My riding buddy had a KX500 outfitted for trail riding. It was smokin'!!! Sold it to a co-worker who also loves it. It does take more work to outfit though; Eric Gorr mo-everything and a bitch of a carb to get right but then it's all just plug and play parts.
Jerry

KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

Thnaks to all who replyed. I just sold my RM250 yesterday and bought a 2003 KDX220r. The only reason i started this thread is because i wanted some reasurance that once i got the 220 i would still be able to do the few things i like doing, namely trail riding and hillclimbing....the MX really liked to climb but after taking the KDX out today i have complete confidence that it will be on par on the hills soon enough. :shock:
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I NEVER!!!!!
Yes you did!!!
You said, the KX tank has almost the same capacity as the KDX tank so it wouldn't be needed. I came back with fuel consumption difference and you said it wouldn't be that much more.

I of course deleted the post since it was in the "For Sale" area when you were trying to justify buying the bike. That's OK... I do the same thing! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't recall that at all Vince. :rolleyes:

Kuhn, my boss has a 2000 RM250. We fixed it up for trail riding pretty easy. He was just too large for the KDX at 6'4". The RM fit him better.
Jerry