dB Snorkel appears to require rejetting?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

dB Snorkel appears to require rejetting?

Post by wanaride »

When I took my first ride with the dB Snorkel, the bike ran poorly and poured lots and lots of bluish-white smoke. When I took the Snorkel off, the bike ran normally.

I asked Syd, the designer of the Snorkel, and he said that he has never encountered a bike that needs rejetting to use the Snorkel. He suggested that the Snorkel was plugged, but he admitted that he had not done any testing on the KDX with it. I told him that the KDX is notorious for being sensitive to jetting.

I checked the Snorkel and it doesn't have any obstructions; exhaust was flowing out of both ports of the Snorkel.

It seems to me that the Snorkel is causing the bike to run very richly, and that rejetting will be required to run it. Could I be missing something?

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds like its increasing the back pressure and causing the bike to run rich. Do you run your airbox lid? How is the condition of your silencer? Has it been repacked lately?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I think the only solutiion is to send it my way for further testing.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I did a fresh repack before installing the Snorkel. I run the lid but have removed the lid's snorkel and drilled lotsa holes in the lid.

Oh yes, and I also cut off part of the subframe tube to allow the Snorkel to fit, and I also had to buy an MX fender for it to fit.

Syd suspected that the Snorkel would help slightly quiet a KDX with aftermarket pipe and airbox lid drilled, but he didn't think it would provide much help to a bike with a stock pipe, as they are already very quiet. I didn't run mine long enough to tell because the smoke was choking everyone.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Wanaride- "I didn't run mine long enough to tell because the smoke was choking everyone."

Not sure what you really mean by that. My bike smokes a ton when I first start it, then when it warms up fully, it smokes very little. By fully warm I mean 10-15 minutes of riding under a load. Did it ever get up to temperature?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Run the bike straight until warmed up, then install the snorkel and see what happens.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Have you tried to lean it out? Nothing to worry about. A harmful lean conditionwill show itself before you cause harm....Just don't go on any WOT blasts until you think you're close to OK...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

OK, I put on the Snorkel, fired up the bike and rode in some woods behind my house. The bike didn't run strong and it smoked very badly. I took the Snorkel off with less than 5 minutes on it, and the bike ran much better with little smoke (I had just put in some premix with Amsoil Interceptor @ 50:1).

I was just pissed when I found out I needed to rejet the bike in order to use it. Syd told me that no one he has dealt with had to rejet their bike after installing the Snorkel, but he did say that he had not done any KDX testing yet.

I'll try:
- warming the bike up first.
- put on the Snorkel and test ride.
- rejet if required.

Lord willing more later...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Try completely removing the airbox lid as well if you get a chance. Seems like most of the bikes he's tested with are MX bikes which have a fairly open airbox.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E