KX 125 aluminum kick start lever installed!

Got questions? We got answers....
Bailey28

KX 125 aluminum kick start lever installed!

Post by Bailey28 »

I just got done installing an aluminum kick lever on my 05-200. I think I saved at least one lb. over the stock steelie. Lever tucks in nicely too. I had to take apart both levers and use the bottom splined part from the KDX. I also had to machine a small channel for the phillips screw to ride in.

I would post a pic, but I don't think I have the space or capability to do so. I need a volunteer... would someone be willing to post a pic if I sent you an email with the pic attached?
FAZ
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Why don't you use the gallery here?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

All sorts of folks have aluminium kickers. Maybe from FRP, maybe off a KX..but it's commonly done.

A note of caution when doing such: Yes, you have to use the KDX knuckle, but if you use a used knuckle, IT may well be shot (worn out) in which case putting your maybe brandy new lever on a used knuckle is not going to work.

You will end up ruining the brandy new lever.

I didn't machine anything for any phillips-headed screw though. Ooops! :wink:

BTW...the detent spring on the OEM kicker is a piece of junk. It is made evidently from the same dyn-o-mite quality metal as is the kicker. It's likely collapsed. Go to your local hardware store and get a real spring.

Put the retaining allen in with some thread locker.

You can use one-each o-rings from the same hardware store, too.
**edit**

Ooops summore. You have to use TWO each of those o-rings...not one!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

If any of you could post a pic, I'd like to see it. Since I'm an imposing 5'6" with boots on, a shorter lever for me to get my shorty leg up on to kick it over would be great! I saw a post somewhere about using a KX80 kicker, can't remember where...

-- C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What is it you would like to see? A studio pic of a short kicker installed on a showroom race bike?

...or just the lever? (this one from FRP)

The useable KX part is from an '89 KX125.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Speaking of short stuff from other bikes. I mangled my shift lever and bent it back so many times it was a pain in the butt to use. I was missing shifts a lot and needed to swap it out. I grabbed the one off my kids KX85, and it works great. Keep in mind i have a 12 tooth CS sprocket. a 13 might still work, but barely. Oh, My kid's leg is broke, so he ain't riding anyhow.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

CC,

I used on from a 97 KX 125, the top of it is fully enclosed and doesnt use a cirlip or anything. The large phllips screw holds the thing in place from slipping off of the KDX shaft. I only had a few thousandths of an inch clearance but I managed nicely. I'll see if I can get the gallery to work for the pic
FAZ
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

Guys, look in the gallery, I just added two pics.
FAZ
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

For the lazy peeps.

Now where's the rest of the bike ?? ;)

BTW Have you even ridden that puppy ?? Looking at the sticker on the exhaust and lack of wear to the frame paint I would say twice if it's lucky.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

How much are those levers?
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Looks good! Are there certain model years for the KX125s that the kicker won't fit a 2000 KDX220? What are the limiting factors for making a part (the kicker) on one bike fit on another? Diameter? Splines? If I look around for one, what model year KX125 should I be looking for?

TIA
--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

:razz: I knew I would get flamed for the "cleanliness" of my bike.... It has about 20 hours on it so far, no real muddy rides yet. I think the cheap O'Neil boots are wearing more than the paint on the frame! I thought the upc bar code would burn off of the Plat II, but it hasn't yet... maybe I need to ride harder. :mrgreen:

The kicker lever install is still going, I have to add a wee bit of metal to the KDX part to get the lever to rest perpendicular to the bike when its "out" As it is now, the lever passes that point to about 100 degrees. My buddy will weld a small "chunk" that I can machine down to get it perfect. I will post more pics of the machine work I did. Like CC says >>>>Peanut grinder!!<<<<

BTW, check the for sale - wanted ads, I have one extra brand new kick lever, same year KX 125
FAZ
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good deal!

Did you use o-rings?

Maybe it's the frame-guard mylar that's wearing out your cheap Oneil boots! :wink:

I used to think a closed top would be a good idea..keep junk out of the assy. I found on my Yamaha (closed top) that it STILL gets junk in it..it's just harder to lubricate.

It'll work great!!

Maybe your bike would get some dirt on it if you rode it other than around the house! :wink:

Consider the source

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC - your humor just kills me sometimes - regarding - What is it you would like to see? A studio pic of a short kicker installed on a showroom race bike? ROFLMAO
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine