Registration of UK KDX on USA plates?

Got questions? We got answers....
TurboJAM

Registration of UK KDX on USA plates?

Post by TurboJAM »

Hi.

Tried the search but didn’t come up with an answer.

I’m about to rebuild/upgrade two UK road registered KDX220r.

I also may end up moving to Texas or California in a year or so.

Is there a “rule book” on what can/can’t be done to the bike to ensure it will be possible to be re-registered on a US number plate for street use? Same goes for a Land Cruiser Prado 120 diesel.... different forum I know.

As I’ll be putting different forks on, and most likely a carb, exhaust etc I’d like to ensure minimal hassle... I understand different states have different rules, just don’t know what those rules are?

Hoping it’s as simple as if it was road registered in the UK they’ll happily register it in the US...

If there’s a website with all this info written down, can someone point me to it?

Cheers
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Registration of UK KDX on USA plates?

Post by KDXGarage »

"Hoping it’s as simple as if it was road registered in the UK they’ll happily register it in the US..."

Sorry. That is not how it works. :-) Contact / research the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in your future locale in Texas.

You can forget it for California. That won't be happening.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

You might also try seeing if you can register in an other state. Much has been written in this and other sites about just this maneuver. I think one of these states is Vermont, but I'm probably wrong.

Hopefully others can chime in with more accurate info.

Good luck.
TurboJAM

Post by TurboJAM »

Thought it wouldn't be that easy.

Thanks for the replies will checkout the DMV.

Regarding registering in another state... say I can get it registered in Texas.... then end up in California... are you supposed to re-register or can you just use it as is. Each year (or whatever the period is) you have to get it passed a test back in Texas?

In Spain/Europe, you're allowed to use your car/bike for upto 6 months in another country, but then should re-register to whichever country you're in (at great expense and hassle) if you intend to stay longer. Many just leave the country for a few days and bring the car/bike back in to reset the 6 month window...not techincally correct, but works for many.

Anyway, will probably find that info with DMV so will look.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:53 pm Mar 22 2021 "Hoping it’s as simple as if it was road registered in the UK they’ll happily register it in the US..."

Sorry. That is not how it works. :-) Contact / research the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in your future locale in Texas.

You can forget it for California. That won't be happening.
That's not necessarily true (although it can be complicated):

It will depend on a couple factors, namely what his title looks like and his model year (Equipment/emissions standards can likely be met on 2003 and earlier mdoels).

As for re-registering after changing residence, I believe the requirement is 30 days. It is based on location of permanent residency (itself often a matter of technicality), not necessarily location of usage. You can operate it in any state.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Just for ref- Similar in WA.
If title does not say “off road only”, they will typically sell you plates without additional requirements. If it says “off road only” you have to take it to certified dealer and run through equipment and safety checks and have them sign off that everything works (Either OEM or Kit is OK). Then they will sell you new title that says “dual-sport”. Emissions is only an issue by City or County. But pretty sure all KDX are beyond our age limit restrictions in any jurisdiction, where CA has 2003 as the magic date.
We are also 30 days to change registration, but usually this only causes a problem if your neighbors don’t like hot rod bikes and cars, and you park on street where they can tattle. I don’t think cops up here care much so would not worry about it, as long as you had valid tabs.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

sarrant, is that a UK origin KDX?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:49 pm Mar 24 2021 sarrant, is that a UK origin KDX?
No. A US model (pre-2003 CARB emission standard) that has been street-registered for CA. But depending on the title and year, process could potentially be similar.