Clutch wont disengage

Got questions? We got answers....
NTexasKDX

Clutch wont disengage

Post by NTexasKDX »

My bike has been sitting for about a year now because it needed a new carburetor. Other than that everything worked great when it was put away. Now that I have a list of parts ordered I figured I would get it pulled out and clean the dust off of it before breaking into it. Problem is that I noticed when it's in gear and I pull in the clutch lever it doesn't seem to disengage. I have to put the bike into neutral in order to move it around where as it didn't do this when it was put away. I have done a bit of googling and couldn't find much. If any one has some pointers as to where I should start looking it would be greatly appreciated. It has a Magura hydraulic clutch kit on it that probably needs a rebuild but it still pulls the little lever coming out of the clutch cover so I assume it isn't my problem. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch wont disengage

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Sadly, you are remembering something that did not exist. Pretty much any dirt bike does not shift well when the engine is not running and moving forward.

I have different brands and mdoels. If I try to change gears when it is not running and moving, I have to roll the bike back and forth to get it to catch the next gear.

If I try to pull in the clutch and move it with the engine off, it barely moves. You are not the first to ask about this. It's a dirt bike, not a car. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Do you happen to know which magura kit fits KDX? I saw one on a yami a couple weeks ago and seemed like a nice deal.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:57 pm Mar 19 2021 Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Sadly, you are remembering something that did not exist. Pretty much any dirt bike does not shift well when the engine is not running and moving forward.

I have different brands and mdoels. If I try to change gears when it is not running and moving, I have to roll the bike back and forth to get it to catch the next gear.

If I try to pull in the clutch and move it with the engine off, it barely moves. You are not the first to ask about this. It's a dirt bike, not a car. :-)
Sitting for a year didn't help it any either. I'd change the oil, even though it just sat, put the bike in neutral and crank her up. Run it a bit and I'll be you come back to "normal", which of course means, you're still going to have a hard time pushing it around in gear with the clutch pulled in, especially cold.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I must have not focused on the setting for a year part. If the plates stuck, then that would explain it, too. Thanks, doakley.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I had never thought to try and roll mine in gear.
It rolls around easily with clutch pulled if running.
It does not roll around hardly at all when it is not a running.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250