1983 KDX200 Pivot Arm needed

Got questions? We got answers....
dmackin2

1983 KDX200 Pivot Arm needed

Post by dmackin2 »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to KDXRider and bought a 1983 KDX200 in the fall with the idea of rebuilding it over the winter. The first bike I had was a 1983 Honda XR200 so things feel somewhat familiar.
So far, I've seen what I expected - front and rear wheel bearings and swing arm bearings need replacement and I just rebuilt the front forks. The cylinder and piston look ok and the compression is good. The clutch was kind of sticky when cold but ok once warm. I'll have a look at the clutch plates and see if they need attention or replacement. Transmission shifts cleanly. I'm a little concerned about the carb but i'll save that for another posting.
Biggest problem so far is I had a really hard time getting the rear suspension pivot arm off (the rocker arm that connects to the head of the rear shock and to the link that goes to the swing arm ). I tried PB Blaster, heat, a BIG hammer, put the bike on its side, repeat the treatment, etc. Nothing moved. Eventually, I used a hacksaw, cut through the bolt on both sides and now have it on the workbench.
Even thought its now in my bench vise, the thing is one solid lump. I don't think its ever been off the bike and greased since new. So, I need a new (used) one. ..... and I can't find a 1983 one anywhere.
I can find a 1986 pivot arm but it looks slightly different. Will that work? If not, any suggestions?
Any and all advice gratefully received.
Cheers,
Donald
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1983 KDX200 Pivot Arm needed

Post by bufftester »

P/N 39007-1067, $94 through Rocky Mountain ATV, says it would ship 21 Feb. Not sure if I believe that, but its on their page. Other than that Ebay is going to be your other source.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
dmackin2

Post by dmackin2 »

Bufftester - Thanks for the reply and sorry I'm slow saying thanks. I tried ebay and i have a pivot arriving anyday. Seemed to be the best / cheapest way to go. Cheers.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm just curious, once you had it removed did you try some heat and/or using a press to get it out?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
dmackin2

Post by dmackin2 »

Thanks for the question
I tried heat, first with a propane torch and then with a MAP gas torch. Neither worked
I used a home made bearing press - a bolt with spacers that I would tighten as I applied the heat. I ended up stripping the threads on the bolt. (I don’t have a proper bearing press.)
In the end, I just bought a used one in decent condition from eBay.