RB Carb vs Lecturn

Got questions? We got answers....
Clubcar
Gold Member
Gold Member

RB Carb vs Lecturn

Post by Clubcar »

I'm rebuilding my newly purchased 2001 220R and need to decide if the Lecturn Carb is worth the extra $$ over the RB Mod Carb. I'm not racing, just a mello New England woods rider. I am planning on doing RB's head mod. I've read great things about both options. Also would appreciate some suggestions on reeds, my old go to were Boysen.

I'm also planning on installing a light kit and register it so I don't have to trailer 5 miles to get into the woods.

Thank you
1982 KDX250
2001 KDX220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: RB Carb vs Lecturn

Post by SS109 »

Having owned both, I like the RB carb better. The only way I would choose the Lectron over the RB is if I rode with a lot of elevation change each weekend. I'm talking more than 3000ft of elevation change. Otherwise the RB wins hands down in power and throttle response.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I’ve ridden a 200 with a Lectron and my 220 with the RB OEM style. I prefer the RB also, mostly because it was significantly less expensive and drops right in. The Lectron I saw was a really tight fit. I can tell you the combination of RB carb, RB head mod, Boysen reeds and the FMF Rev or “dessert” pipe, really lights up a 220.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

If I wasn't in Colorado where I ride anywhere from 6k - 12k feet, I would have gone with the RB carb. With that being said, I feel that my Lectron works well. Since your elevation changes are minimal on the east coast, the RB carb should work well. I'm running Boyesen 607 reeds and they seem to be pretty common with KDXs.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
Clubcar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Clubcar »

Thanks for your responses. I'm going with RB. Carb and head. Getting the rear shock rebuilt by a local guy here. Need to order a new top end kit.
1982 KDX250
2001 KDX220R
henrys
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by henrys »

I'm debating lectron vs rb right now. I ride mostly in 1000-2000ft altitude but also travel up to elevation every summer (NM and CO). I'm used to efi 4 stroke KTMs and am pretty lazy about wanting to mess with jetting. I love my KDX200 so much though that I'm going to sell my KTM and just use it full time. RB isn't rebuilding old carbs anymore so its $350 ($380 for air striker) and lectron is $515. So the question is the lectron worth the extra ~$150 to for a lazy 4 stroker to not mess with jetting as much. I've been doing a lot of research with the KTM crowd and they seem to really prefer a properly jetted PWK to the lectron for overall performance but there's also plenty of lectron folks that swear by them once they are tuned properly. $150 doesn't seem like that much more to spend..