*Take your hands off of my woodruff key* Timing advance question

Got questions? We got answers....
'03KDX200

*Take your hands off of my woodruff key* Timing advance question

Post by '03KDX200 »

So, I want to be able to fiddle with the ignition timing a bit less laboriously, in my 2003 KDX 200. It could be a really fast little operation to get in there and turn the stator clockwise or counterclockwise. But setting and hitting the stupid woodruff key "just right" or perfectly straight-on is nearly impossible. The key itself is not deformed very much at all, but does show a little wear at the very edges in some places. The same could be said for the curvy slot that it's in. The problem is this: even when you can get the key to stay right where it's supposed to, how are you supposed to line it up properly with the "keyway", when the stupid magnet from the stator or whatever sucks it hard to one side or another?

Do any of you seasoned, grizzly bike mechanics out there have a favorite way of overcoming that magnetic bullshit problem?

(Edit: The more I think about it, I'm not sure the bike has more low-end power with the timing set to the advanced mark. I thought it would give me a little more oomph in the bottom end of the power band, but it seems to have had the opposite effect. I'm going to put it back to the center notch and take it for a little ride again on Saturday and we'll see if it indeed does have more power in the center timing position. And in case this matters to anyone: I'm riding at about 4000 ft elevation, 48 or so degrees F, and running a spark plug one number hotter than stock.)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: *Take your hands off of my woodruff key* Timing advance question

Post by G22inSC »

In my opinion, just set the timing with a dial gauge to the factory spec and leave it alone.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

When I slide on the magneto rotor, I position the woodruff key slightly down to act like a ramp to help the install. A very small dab of grease may help hold it in position. Usually takes me a few stabs to get it to cooperate.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

Molly's 70 wrote: 02:40 pm Feb 05 2021 When I slide on the magneto rotor, I position the woodruff key slightly down to act like a ramp to help the install. A very small dab of grease may help hold it in position. Usually takes me a few stabs to get it to cooperate.
Ok thanks I'll try that. I was thinking something similar.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Exactly what I do, a bit of moly grease on the key and then set it in the slot with the nose of the key slightly down. Then 2 hands to guide the rotor on.
For clarification, advancing the timing will affect your mid-range power much more than low end, and will be at the expense of top end over-rev. Too much advance and you'll get pinging which is bad and you can grenade a piston. Too late and you get super hot exhaust temps and a general loss of power all over, but not nearly as damaging as too advanced.
For the effort and time involved, you'll get better return on your investment with proper jetting. After that its pipe and port work...which will require you to go back and properly jet it.