Vet rider age - when to say when

Got questions? We got answers....
Owyhee1

Vet rider age - when to say when

Post by Owyhee1 »

Just wondering at what age trail riders start to question ability/ safety, etc.
I’m 61, trail rode all my life, always been a very good local rider, could consistently ride all season without any drama. Nowadays, I only get out 8 or 10 times a year on my KDX220, a couple of those in the high country.

Problem is I fall over about every ride, hit a root, a rock, whatever. I’m not used to that, so now I’m questioning how many more years I can do this, which is very hard to think about.

I realize there are plenty of guys older than me out there, what I want to know is, generally speaking, what others are experiencing.

Would like to hear how others are holding up in their veteran years.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Vet rider age - when to say when

Post by KDXGarage »

You got a little ways to go. :grin:

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=23217
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I agree with KDXGarage, read what Doakley has gone through. I have done similar and I am 69. Broke a bone in my ankle in June, I am having knee replacement on Friday, and all I can think about is when I can get back on my KDX. I typically try to keep up with my 36 year old son. Now a days I just try to keep him or his dust in site. You will learn your limits as you age, just keep them in mind when you ride and don't ride over your head. Also be sure to wear all the protection you can because it does take longer to recover when you fall at our advanced age. I plan on riding as long as I can, because I don't want to look at the alternative, 4-wheels or worse yet, recliner. Kepp on brapping!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I'm 60 and still ride at least once a week. So far not falling much which I think can be attributed to the amount of seat time keeping the balance sharp also being selective of which trails to ride. Some are now off limits as there is too much potential for a fall plus I ride alone, Riding more dual sport on logging roads on the BRP (xr650r) feels less demanding and risky but still gives the freedom and rush I desire. A crash on that bike could be a game ender though so Ive toned it down a bit. I plan on riding till its just to painful, coordination goes to hell, or the big one happens.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Owyhee1, I think this is a question only you can answer. I know I have to tone it down severely or stop completely after having such a major injury. Would I have not had my accident had my reaction time been quicker? Would my injuries have been less severe were I younger? I will never know. I do know I doubt I would handle another such accident as well, or maybe not at all. I can not put my family through this experience again, much less myself.
Each of us has to honestly evaluate the risk/reward candidly and make our own decision.

I love riding and love the thrill of nailing the gas coming out of a corner. I love to race. But I love my family so much more. Maybe my words come too close on the heels of my accident And I will feel different with time. I know at this time I have no immediate plans to sell the KDX.

Sorry, brother. I know this didn’t help.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My dad has broken his back twice (once riding, once not) and still rides at least a dozen times a year. As he puts it, "I'll be done riding when I'm dead" It comes down to what Doakley said, it's a personal decision only you can make. I am getting older (late 50s) and ride a lot and still go down hard every couple rides (usually doing something stupid, or trying to keep up with my son). There are times I think "That's it, I'm tired of hurting" and 6 weeks later my wife is telling me to go ride or quit complaining about not riding! I have gotten smarter and steer away from the hard enduro stuff, more poker runs than racing these days, but it still leaves a smile on my face at the end of the day and I guess when it stops doing that I'll quit.
Owyhee1

Post by Owyhee1 »

Thanks for the input, I had not previously read about your setback doakley, sure sorry to hear about that. I plan to ride within my limits and keep going, for a number of more years. Besides, I bought a nearly new kdx200 this summer, I’ll need fo get my money out of it. 😎
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I'm only 51, but I still competitively race my mountain bike and am just getting into hare scrambles. I'm blown away by how many older (and faster) guys are out there on both pedal and motor. Inspiring to say the least, some of these guys are in their 70's. Talking with some of them and through observation I've learned they are doing more strength training, some yoga, and definitely taking advantage of quality safety gear such as knee and neck braces, chest protectors, etc. I've learned I have to work harder off the bike to feel good on it. Paying more attention to my diet as I've gotten older definitely helps too. I think as long as you take care of your body, can maintain your health, and can avoid serious injuries, the "want to" (mental factor) should be the ultimate decisive ingredient. I believe that having an active lifestyle prolongs your career and that when people quit doing the things they love, they are giving up. It will be interesting to see how far we can go, I know we only have a limited amount of 'say in the matter.'
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I'm 64 and I ride regularly, including a couple of desert races a year and some heart stopping mountain rides. I've had two semi-serious injuries. One was riding over my head when tired, and one was a little fall over on a rock. Right after that one I spent $450 on boots.
So, I try not to ride over my head, slow when tired and spend money on protective gear. I hope to ride into my 80's.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

61 here and try to get out at least once a week during riding season, toned it down now, still get my rush from wheelies over puddles and getting the back end loose on the corner’s! Never say never!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

61 and ride off road as much as possible. Actually riding more and more, but intentionally not hard & fast. Can't afford to get busted up. Fortunately, can select between KDX 220 and DRZ 400, depending on where I want to go and how I want to ride.