Differnce Between Stock and Ceet High Seat Foam?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Kuhn

Differnce Between Stock and Ceet High Seat Foam?

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

Can anyone tell me what the gain is from installing thee Ceet "High" foam? Also What is the gain, if any of adding the .40 kg srings to the front forks? Thanks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The tall seat foam will gain you about 2 inches of seat height. For folks with long legs, that means a much easier time moving from seated position to a standing position and makes it easier to slide forward and closer to the gas tank.
Heavier springs will allow the suspension to ride higher in the stroke. No use tieing up suspension in saggy forks.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The OEM KDX is quite undersprung for most riders' use. What's important is to install the correct spring rate for your/your bike/your useage. Opinions vary..like the RaceTech site almost always is on the high (IMO) side of spring rate recs.

Opinions on spring length also vary. The OEM KDX has a preload spacer about 3.5" long for its 470mm length spring. Why fill a suspension component with a metal spacer? I don't know. Which is why I filled my fork with spring...not a metal spacer.

Opinions vary on 'correct' installation (when it comes to 'best' preload), too.

A correctly operating suspension will 'make' you a better rider than will any 'go fast' hop-up. Not too blingy, maybe, but it's money well spent!

Welcome to the site!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:14 pm May 02 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I have the Ceet foam stuffed nicely under the stock gripper seat cover. I love it!
The stock foam is way too soft IMOP. The Ceet foam is tallest right before heading up to the seat/tank junction, making it a flatter profile and allowing for better movement. i.e. sliding up to the front to hammer a tight corner. The firmness has been a matter of debate so I have read. Some liken it to a 2x4, a KTM saddle, etc. I like the stiff foam. I ride bikes (pedal type) allot and always ride my moto with padded bike shorts on. Anyway, the firm feel is great at the back of the saddle for butt-checking over a downed tree etc. You don't get killed by the seat rails when the rear end comes up quick to meet you.
As far as springs go. I originally ordered springs from Race Tech and they sent me .42kg units. I put them in and the sound alone made me crazy! They sounded like a cheap pogo-stick! I went to Jeff Fredette and he said that I would get seriously hammered if I tried to ride in the woods with such a stout spring rate. He sold me his .38kg springs and I love them! I have yet to install gold valves, but I really do notice the ride with the correct springs. I am also running Race Tech 2.5-5wt oil which Jeff thought might be a little slick, providing too quick of rebound. I really like the feel but have not tried 7wt. to compare to. I will be sending my forks to either Jeff or Factory Connection to have the valves installed at some point and at that time I will have them put in what ever they recommend.
I weigh 185--190 so that is what works for me. I also ride very technical woods so I like a quick action to my suspension.
Hope this helps.
Either way, If you are over 5'11" and 130lbs. (that would be pretty darn skinny :lol: ) you should get the foam and new springs. Call Fredette for his springs as they are cheaper new than any I have seen.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Wow CC, I didn't know the preload spacer was 3.5" (and I have changed the fork oil so I should have seen it). Maybe I'll switch to XR fork springs the next time I change my fork oil (soon).
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's this thing:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks CC, that must be the stainless piece I had to push out of the way during the fork spring change. Sorry to hijack this thread...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

Well I just got done installing the new "Tall" Ceet seat foam. I measured the stock seat before and then after. I didn't gain 2 inches. I would say the the tape measure says a total gain of 3/4 inch and like one of the above posts said, mainly in the tank/front dip. I doubt the mid to rear portion of the foam is any different the stock. The stock seat cover streatched over the new foam too....Yes, I'm cheep.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

No one will call you cheap for re-using the stock cover. That is the way Ceet intended it. A Guts tall seat would be taller everywhere but they would make you say Cheap! I never priced one but I am sure it is more $$ than the Ceet foam.
It has a better profile and I am sure you will like it. It really counts to have the foam stiff at the rails in the back, trust me! :lol:
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I have the Guts tall seat foam with stock firmness, I believe their price is $59.95. You can order it in the firmness you want (stock, hard, soft) and the height you want. I also didn't notice much of a height increase with mine.

I used a Factory Effex cover and had a auto upholstery shop put it on. Much less hassle (and better finish) that way.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Cool, I didn't know that they sold foam only. I thought you would be shelling out for a complete saddle.