Add a USB port to the KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
AllAroundPoser

Add a USB port to the KDX?

Post by AllAroundPoser »

Hey all, totally new here, and pretty new to my KDX. I’m wanting to add a USB charging port to my 2001 KDX220. I’m sure it has been done before but I’m not clear on how to do it. Can I simply get one on Amazon and tap into the headlight wires? Or is it more involved than that?

Any thoughts/experience?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Add a USB port to the KDX?

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It can be done but it will take some additional parts, wiring, and possibly a stator upgrade depending on your power requirements.

The KDX runs on AC electrical current only in stock form. You need DC power to use a 5v DC USB port. You would need to use a rectifier to convert the AC to DC which would leave you with about 15 watts of DC power from a stock KDX lighting coil. That should be enough to run a standard 5 volt, 1 amp, USB port.

Do you plan on using your lights at all or just the USB? If you want lights as well you will really need to upgrade your lighting stator, either rewind yourself or pick up an aftermarket one, to run both.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:08 pm Aug 17 2020 Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you! 🙏🏼🙏🏼👊🏼👊🏼
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

SS109 wrote: 10:42 pm Aug 17 2020 It can be done but it will take some additional parts, wiring, and possibly a stator upgrade depending on your power requirements.

The KDX runs on AC electrical current only in stock form. You need DC power to use a 5v DC USB port. You would need to use a rectifier to convert the AC to DC which would leave you with about 15 watts of DC power from a stock KDX lighting coil. That should be enough to run a standard 5 volt, 1 amp, USB port.

Do you plan on using your lights at all or just the USB? If you want lights as well you will really need to upgrade your lighting stator, either rewind yourself or pick up an aftermarket one, to run both.
SS109, thanks for this explanation — that’s exactly why I was looking for.

I would be using lights as well — I’m in the process of getting the KDX plated for a 2-day adventure ride. So the power draw would be the headlight (aftermarket, done by previous owner and I don’t know much about it), taillight, and the USB powering an old Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS.

Is there a tutorial out there for winding the stator? And, is there a recommended aftermarket stator and rectifier for the KDX220?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Try a forum search for stator rewind, there is a tutorial on here somewhere.

I went with a Ricky Stator unit on my dual sport (when I had it). I believe this is the one: https://www.rickystator.com/product/sta ... coil-89-on
I didn't want to worry about whether or not I did the rewind correctly. This was as simple as unscrewing, cutting some wires, solder in the new unit, and screw in place. You'll need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off, if you don't have one already.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

Tyl3r wrote: 07:29 am Aug 18 2020 Try a forum search for stator rewind, there is a tutorial on here somewhere.

I went with a Ricky Stator unit on my dual sport (when I had it). I believe this is the one: https://www.rickystator.com/product/sta ... coil-89-on
I didn't want to worry about whether or not I did the rewind correctly. This was as simple as unscrewing, cutting some wires, solder in the new unit, and screw in place. You'll need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off, if you don't have one already.
Awesome — thank you.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Depending on the state you're in you may also need to drive turn signals, brake light, horn. If you're goal is to plate it I would do the full up conversion (see Baja Designs or search the forums) You'll get the best performance for your electronics.
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

bufftester wrote: 05:17 pm Aug 18 2020 Depending on the state you're in you may also need to drive turn signals, brake light, horn. If you're goal is to plate it I would do the full up conversion (see Baja Designs or search the forums) You'll get the best performance for your electronics.
That’s true. I’m in Missouri, and if my research is correct, all I need is the headlight, tail light, and horn. No DOT headlight with high/low beam, no brake light, no turn signals, and I don’t even need mirrors. I bought a bicycle horn on Amazon that’s loud and runs on a button battery. Taking it for inspection this week, so we’ll see...

I’ve looked at the Baja Designs stuff — pretty cool and I may add those items later, but trying my luck with the bare minimum for the inspection.
ballsymcgee

Post by ballsymcgee »

Ive been wondering the same thing. I want to street legal my 04 KDX 200 and I cant find a stator or anything for that year. Just lighting coils and source coils. I dont know much about stators so Im sure Im missing something here
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

ballsymcgee wrote: 07:33 pm Aug 19 2020 Ive been wondering the same thing. I want to street legal my 04 KDX 200 and I cant find a stator or anything for that year. Just lighting coils and source coils. I dont know much about stators so Im sure Im missing something here
You want to upgrade the lighting coil. That's where you'll pull power from for all lighting and accessories you want to use.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, the lighting coil and the source (ignition) coils are both on the stator plate underneath the flywheel.
ballsymcgee

Post by ballsymcgee »

SS109 wrote: 07:38 pm Aug 19 2020
ballsymcgee wrote: 07:33 pm Aug 19 2020 Ive been wondering the same thing. I want to street legal my 04 KDX 200 and I cant find a stator or anything for that year. Just lighting coils and source coils. I dont know much about stators so Im sure Im missing something here
You want to upgrade the lighting coil. That's where you'll pull power from for all lighting and accessories you want to use.
So this is all I need to replace?

https://www.rickystator.com/product/sta ... coil-89-on

No need to replace the source coil?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That is correct. Pull the flywheel, remove the old coil but note how it is connected first because you will need to connect it the same way. No need to remove the stator plate (which can futz with your timing).
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

AllAroundPoser wrote: 09:21 pm Aug 18 2020
bufftester wrote: 05:17 pm Aug 18 2020 Depending on the state you're in you may also need to drive turn signals, brake light, horn. If you're goal is to plate it I would do the full up conversion (see Baja Designs or search the forums) You'll get the best performance for your electronics.
That’s true. I’m in Missouri, and if my research is correct, all I need is the headlight, tail light, and horn. No DOT headlight with high/low beam, no brake light, no turn signals, and I don’t even need mirrors. I bought a bicycle horn on Amazon that’s loud and runs on a button battery. Taking it for inspection this week, so we’ll see...

I’ve looked at the Baja Designs stuff — pretty cool and I may add those items later, but trying my luck with the bare minimum for the inspection.
Just updating my research here and progress: a brake light IS required in Missouri — earlier in the thread I had said it’s not.

Instead of Baja Designs or the Tusk enduro kit, I’ve decided to take my chances on this one: https://streetohv.com/MX-Dirt-Bike-Stea ... p148756311. I ordered it last night along with the optional USB port.

This company had advertised their any-state dirt bike plating services on Instagram, and I saw this kit, which supposedly only draws 9 watts. I looked into piecing it all together from eBay and Amazon, which technically can be done for slightly less $$, but I was not the convinced the end fittings wouldn’t all need changed out to make all the connections.

So along with this lighting kit, I’ll buy a rectifier/regulator — possibly a cheap one from Amazon, a small battery, and an LED bulb for the headlight. I’ll test the system’s output and draw with the full setup and then determine if a rewound stator is necessary.

Will try to update along the way.
AllAroundPoser

Post by AllAroundPoser »

Okay, so just an update if anyone is still following. I went with the StreetOHV kit mentioned above, I floated the ground by following excellent threads here in the forum, got an LED headlight from Amazon (SEALIGHT 9003 H4 LED Motorcycle... a small 12v battery (Tenergy NiMH Battery Pack 12V... and AT FIRST a cheap reg/rectifier from Amazon that for some reason was only giving me about 2 VDC. Ended up buying the Trail Tech full wave regulator/rectifier from a friend — he had installed It on a super moto bike but never finished the project. I bought his because I didn’t have time to wait on one ordered online, because I left for an ADV ride on the KDX last Friday.

I got the KDX inspected and plated last week, no problems there.

The results were great: bright, steady lights all the way around plus a USB port to keep everything charged. We rode close to 600 miles in 3 days all over Missouri — was a great trip. Just wish the KDX had a greater fuel range, though I also realize it’s not an ADV bike. 😂

Appreciate everyone’s help and insight.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the follow up.

Congratulations on getting it plated, then enjoying the big ride!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Guffer
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guffer »

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

Any issues with the Tenergy battery pack and where did you place it on the bike? I'm thinking about using the same one.
1989 KDX 200
2020 Vitpilen 701