Backpack Recommendations ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Backpack Recommendations ?

Post by Wudscrasher »

Now that the weather's warming up, the trails will be opening up soon! I'm looking to upgrade my pack from a "Camelback"-style small pack to a medium-size pack for longer trips. I need room for a good set of trail tools, 2 water bladders, rain gear, food, extra gas, etc...20-25lbs max.

I'm looking for good durability, not a ton of useless straps flying around and catching on trees, and a solid waist belt. The pack will have to fit over my Moose body armor and no, it doesn't have to be green. :wink:

If you ride with a pack, how do you rate yours or others you've tried?
Feel free to list brand/model names, too. TIA for the input, dewds!

-- C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

***After further review, this post has been changed. This post will not use the name of the tree huggin, gay whale loving, granola eatin, green peace evriromental nazi bastages again***
Last edited by bradf on 09:58 am Apr 26 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You might look for an Osprey pack, I think they're based in Cortez or that neighborhood. They're high end packs that feature wrap designs to compress down as you use stuff up. They used to be sewn by Navaho women, but now they're made in Vietnam. Still very high quality though, I don't carry enough stuff to use mine for that though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

bradf:
>>REI Traverse Pack for about $60
>>REI Lookout Pack for about $80

Don't take this the wrong way, but I will never, NEVER buy anything from REI.
Our local store was approached by our dirtbike club to write a letter of support
for a trails grant we were after. We were told that it wouldn't be in line with
their customers' idea of stewardship, and personally, the gal looked like we
punched her in the gut. We had the gall to ask REI for support for a new bridge
on a multi-use trail, but we were a motorized group. REI can KMA! :butthead:
If you ride dirtbikes, why even consider any of these places that have the following
philosophy:

"REI is helping build a lasting legacy of trails, rivers, and wildlands for generations to come, supporting programs to help people of all ages and experiences participate. In 2005, REI will give over $2.5 million back to the communities in which we do business through grants and outreach programs. Sally Jewell, REI's president and CEO stated, "REI recognizes that today's youth will be tomorrow's stewards of the environment. REI is committed to providing opportunities for young people to experience the joys of outdoor recreation and learn how to care for open spaces and our shared public lands." (From REI.com)

If they cared about what they say, they would include the motorized contingent
that IS concerned about maintaining trails, conserving the environment, and
protecting public lands FOR the public - and that means everyone! Unfortunately,
they do not care about you. :evil: Go to your local REI store and ask.

P.S. Mike, those packs are too big! Nice, tho'... Found a 1550ci Kelty that might
fit the bill, but wait - they contribute to the Sierra Club. Darn.

--C.J.
nctr.net
cohvco.org
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

LMAO! bradf, now THAT'S funny! Sorry to go off, I just have deep convictions
towards companies that take my money for political influence and support junk
science that I know is false.

God Bless America and the Bill of Rights - I can buy what I want from
whomever I want, galdurnit! :partyman:

So, I've been looking at these Fox, 661 and Ogio packs lately.... :mrgreen:

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

REI is based in Seattle, and I just moved away from western WA to deep in the hearta of old dixie mainly due to the fact that I can't stand what the left coast has become. We do have to take stands for or against companys that are for or against us.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Not to interrupt the political process, but Osprey made packs of all sizes when I got mine. from large Fanny packs, to Expedition size.

And now, back to the show.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Regardless of name... most are made in China anyway.... most everything is anymore. Just wait... pretty soon their economy will be much stronger than ours. :?
Due to their demand for raw materials.... our prices for wood, fuel and steel have skyrocketed. Because the US has competition now...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I ride with a Kelty Redwing 2650 occasionally.

There's plenty of room and it has an internal (but removable) frame that you can mold to the shape that is the most comfortable on your spine. The straps are comfortable and there is a real hip strap. On the downside, there are some loops on the back that may snag on branches if you ride in really thick stuff.

Bought on-line for about $80 at Backcountry Edge.

Here's Kelty's page if you're interested:
http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fu ... ack&ID=153
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!