Electrical Nightmare---Experts Needed!

Got questions? We got answers....
cicone

Electrical Nightmare---Experts Needed!

Post by cicone »

My '90 kdx200 has just eaten another stator coil. The first aftermarket coil from electrex lasted less than 6 months. They sent me a replacement under warranty that was dead on arrival. I shipped it back and they sent yet another 5 months ago. It checked at 400 ohms. All was fine and then I had the CDI problems. Replaced the CDI with an ebay version and the bike fired on the second kick---hadn't done that in a while. Got in about an hour ride last weekend and then the bike started breaking up at full throttle. I made it to within 100 yards of the truck before it died completely. Thinking the electrical problems solved, I tore into the bike looking for something else. Repack silencer--no start, check reeds, carb, kips, fuel, plug, still no start. Finally today I removed the seat and tank and on a lark unplugged the stator leads and what did it read? 200 ohms! Now most of you guys know I've unhooked, unplugged and checked the electrical system with a fine tooth comb while dealing with the CDI issue a few months back. I'm am getting an intermittant spark, but not enough to get her going. The stator plate is firmly attached and all grounds are clean, tight and check out with multimeter. There appear to be no shorts. The only part not replaced is the primary coil(and the wiring). Now the question. Has anyone had a similar occurance? Am I just getting inferior quality coils from electrex? Am I missing something? I toasted the bikes original coil last year and now in a space of about 12 months have toasted two more from electrex. Wishful thinking tells me that someone knows what the problem is! This is starting to get frustrating----time for a beer---or maybe some scotch. :prayer: Any ideas, guys??
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would suggest buying a Kawasaki brand and see if that helps. I am sorry to hear of your continued battle with the electrical problems. If I ever have trouble, I will pass on an Electrex coil.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry, but I think you will have to continue your wishful thinking (someone knows)....

I've never understood why coils are a problem anyway. As long as they are decently put together they should never fail!

And that...the put-together part...is likely the problem.

What's the worst thing you can do with an electrical component? Probably dead-shorting it is at least close to the top of that list (along with taking it for a swim?). What happens in the case of such a coil when the load is not sufficient? It's not like there is a huge amount of current involved, but it may be enough to toast the insides...breakdown the varnish on the wires.

So..in your case you have been working with various CDI configurations with this coil. Howabout the CDI testing toasted the coil...again? Starting with a known good coil AND a known goog CDI would be a wise choice.

I agree with Jason. There are KNOWN problems with Electrex exciter coils. Unfortunately, you know that too well.

I think you're missing nothing. Your recipe for frustration resolution isn't particulary effective....doesn't keep me from trying it, though! Over...and over....and.....well....over!! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
MERLIN

Post by MERLIN »

Howdy Jay. Darryll from South Africa. Didn't know you had this problem. I had it before and changed my supplier to someone who rewinds these coils at home in their spare time. Have never looked back until my cdi problem which you already know about. Later.
Ride safe and don't drop it
cicone

Post by cicone »

MERLIN wrote:Howdy Jay. Darryll from South Africa. Didn't know you had this problem. I had it before and changed my supplier to someone who rewinds these coils at home in their spare time. Have never looked back until my cdi problem which you already know about. Later.
Hey Darryll---I see you found me! Hope your bike is running well. Good folks here. Keep it upright. :mrgreen: