Can re-use stock trip pickup for trailtech?

Got questions? We got answers....
vchris

Can re-use stock trip pickup for trailtech?

Post by vchris »

I'm about to replace the stock trip with a new trailtech endurance 2 computer. Looking at the wire that goes to the front wheel, anyway to reuse any of it? Or reuse the pickup at the wheel at least?

I'm thinking no, so I'd remove the pickup from the wheel I guess?
kdxdazz

Re: Can re-use stock trip pickup for trailtech?

Post by kdxdazz »

I think no way of reusing it. The trail tech uses a magnetic pick up. Stock speedometer is cable operated. Just mount the magnetic bolt to the brake disc, I have a trail tech on my motarded Wr450. Very happy with it. Will try source another for the kdx
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Just noticed you said stock trip, my kdx is the SR model with full gauges, not sure if my reply is still relevant
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The stock tripmeter is driven by a cable that connects to the right side of the front hub. The TrailTech unit uses a magnet like a bike computer. You can either leave the speedo cable installed and just zip tie it out of the way, or remove it at the hub and find a suitable cap to plug the hole.
vchris

Post by vchris »

Yeah figured chances were slim. I think I'll remove the whole trip, cable and pickup then to make it cleaner.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you do that you'll need a spacer for the front axle to take up the room previously occupied by the assembly.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

No need to remove the hub drive, just leave it on and plug the hole where the speedo cable went in. Heck, I left mine unplugged for years and never had an issue with it up here in the wet Pacific NW, just kept it full of grease. Finally found a plastic cap that fit nicely, but I always disassemble the front hubs each year when I replace my wheel bearings and fill it with fresh grease