Massive Amount of Shavings

Got questions? We got answers....
king_tutt

Massive Amount of Shavings

Post by king_tutt »

I have this 2004 kdx 220 and i was on this forum before due to the kips actuator pin shearing off. I cleaned the side of the engine with some diesel and i could not see any more debris. i was able to spray some onto the other side of the case and no shavings were drained out. I also changed the clutch basket and disks due to the old one having excessive wear, and it has no markings or scraps after riding it for a few hours. I drained the oil and there seems to be lots of metal shavings found in it, i dont understand where the shavings are coming from.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Massive Amount of Shavings

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry, but it is time to split the crankcase halves and fully inspect the inside parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Sounds like it. I was pretty intimidated when I had to rebuild mine, but it turned out not to be so hard after all. Bag and label parts as you take it apart so you don’t end up with stuff left over!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Take pics too. It can help with reassembly.
doakley wrote: 09:06 pm Jul 04 2020 Sounds like it. I was pretty intimidated when I had to rebuild mine, but it turned out not to be so hard after all. Bag and label parts as you take it apart so you don’t end up with stuff left over!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you flushed it out thoroughly and are still getting debris then its time to open it up.
Owyhee1

Post by Owyhee1 »

I have found that if I don’t lean the bike all the way to the ground on the left side, I don’t get all the oil out.