steering stem bearing replacement questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

steering stem bearing replacement questions

Post by bws2 »

I'm working on replacing the steering stem bearings on my '01 KDX200.

I have two questions that I wonder if you guys can help me with:

1. The service manual says that if either of the bearing needs replacing to replace both bearings and races. On mine, the race on the
lower bearing was scored a bit, so I've gotten the lower bearing replaced and have installed a new race. But, the top bearing
still looks to be in good shape along with the race. I'm planning to leave the top one as is, but I'm wondering why the manual calls
for both bearings to be replaced?

2. I'm trying to adjust the steering and tightened up the stem adjustment nut to 43 inch lbs, but it seemed tight to me. So, I backed
it out until I could feels a wiggle in the steering. I then tightened it up until the wiggle went away. I then tightened up top triple clamp bolt to
33 ft lbs. But, now I'm second guessing myself and wonder if I should tightened the stem adjustment nut a little more. Do you guys know if
there's any harm in having it a little loose, or is it better to error on the side of little tight?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: steering stem bearing replacement questions

Post by KDXGarage »

1. maybe it would be critical for high speed road racing?? I would be fine with doing just one, though changing both would be better. I doubt the tolerance difference is going to be of much consequence on a dirt bike.

I just can't see your situation as being like a wheel. Who would just replace one side? If you were doing the bottom because of general wear, then YES, the top would have the same amount of general wear. You will be putting yourself on a path to next replace just the top, then just the bottom, then just the top, etc. however.

2. Does it say anything about cranking it down when you get new bearings, then backing it off?

I just do it by feel. I put it on a work stand, then tighten it to where it barely keeps going when I give it a little push. I want the weight of the wheel to barely be able to pull it on through the arc swing of turning.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: steering stem bearing replacement questions

Post by bws2 »

Thank you, KDXGarage. Definitely not doing any high speed riding. I'm just putt around on trails.

I did do the step to seat the bearings by tightening the stem adjustment nut to 30 ft pounds, the backing it out.

The reason I decided not to replace the top is because I struggled so much getting the new race installed on the bottom.
I got it in a little crooked and it took 45 minutes of banging to finally to get it seated right.

As for the current adjustment, when I push bars over a little, the wheel swings through freely.
But, I might just tightened it up a little more, before I put everything back together.