Can I remove the swingarm pivot shaft without removing the shock?

Got questions? We got answers....
'03KDX200

Can I remove the swingarm pivot shaft without removing the shock?

Post by '03KDX200 »

Hello again gang. I have what might be a stupid question. I've almost got the engine out of my KDX. One of the only things that remain is to remove the wingarm pivot bolt/shaft. I have removed the shaft's nut on the starboard side of the bike. How do I make sure that there isn't a ton of pressure in the vertical plane resting on that bolt, so that I don't screw up the threads or screw something else up trying to whack it out from the nut side? Can I just try to unscrew it the whole way? The bike is up on a dirt bike scissor lift, supported from right under the frame, under the engine. The bottom shock linkage is also being pressed up by the metal platform the frame is resting on. Do you have to get all weight off of the bottom of the shock linkage in order to get the bolt out? The repair manual doesn't mention removing the rear shock as part of the engine removal process. Let me know if you guys need some pictures to see what I'm rambling about.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Can I remove the swingarm pivot shaft without removing the shock?

Post by KDXGarage »

rear tire is still on??

sounds tricky, especially up in the air
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

'03KDX200 wrote: 10:53 pm Jun 07 2020 Hello again gang. I have what might be a stupid question. I've almost got the engine out of my KDX. One of the only things that remain is to remove the wingarm pivot bolt/shaft. I have removed the shaft's nut on the starboard side of the bike. How do I make sure that there isn't a ton of pressure in the vertical plane resting on that bolt, so that I don't screw up the threads or screw something else up trying to whack it out from the nut side? Can I just try to unscrew it the whole way? The bike is up on a dirt bike scissor lift, supported from right under the frame, under the engine. The bottom shock linkage is also being pressed up by the metal platform the frame is resting on. Do you have to get all weight off of the bottom of the shock linkage in order to get the bolt out? The repair manual doesn't mention removing the rear shock as part of the engine removal process. Let me know if you guys need some pictures to see what I'm rambling about.
The only pressure on the bolt would be from the weight of the wheel while the bike is on the lift. The shock is fully extended at that point and should not be adding pressure to the bolt. You could put the floor jack under the wheel to support its weight.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Best to have the support directly under the frame ,linkage not resting on it too, use a block of wood(or equivalent spacer) to support the rear wheel, just resting on it is ok, remove the swingarm nut and have a short bolt ready, I think its 1/2" x 2 1/2" long, as you push the swingarm shaft out push in the 1/2" bolt and it will keep the swingarm in place same for the other side, as the swingarm shaft is removed push in a bolt from that side, might need a little wiggling of parts to get it in.. now you can remove the motor..
02 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

JimmyB wrote: 03:17 pm Jun 08 2020 Best to have the support directly under the frame ,linkage not resting on it too, use a block of wood(or equivalent spacer) to support the rear wheel, just resting on it is ok, remove the swingarm nut and have a short bolt ready, I think its 1/2" x 2 1/2" long, as you push the swingarm shaft out push in the 1/2" bolt and it will keep the swingarm in place same for the other side, as the swingarm shaft is removed push in a bolt from that side, might need a little wiggling of parts to get it in.. now you can remove the motor..
This is exactly how I do it. Lower the lift until the wheel is sitting on the ground and then chase the pivot bolt in with a short bolt. I only do the right side and it keeps everything lined up for when you reinstall the pivot bolt.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:44 am Jun 08 2020 rear tire is still on??

sounds tricky, especially up in the air
Nope the rear wheel has been removed, as well as the front.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

bufftester wrote: 08:50 pm Jun 08 2020
JimmyB wrote: 03:17 pm Jun 08 2020 Best to have the support directly under the frame ,linkage not resting on it too, use a block of wood(or equivalent spacer) to support the rear wheel, just resting on it is ok, remove the swingarm nut and have a short bolt ready, I think its 1/2" x 2 1/2" long, as you push the swingarm shaft out push in the 1/2" bolt and it will keep the swingarm in place same for the other side, as the swingarm shaft is removed push in a bolt from that side, might need a little wiggling of parts to get it in.. now you can remove the motor..
This is exactly how I do it. Lower the lift until the wheel is sitting on the ground and then chase the pivot bolt in with a short bolt. I only do the right side and it keeps everything lined up for when you reinstall the pivot bolt.
This is great advice, I can picture this process in my mind. Thank you.