Case repair?

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Case repair?

Post by Julien D »

Wow, that is not good! Don't be too disheartened though. I bought my KDX as a basketcase and found out later the case was cracked. I lucked up on a set of case halves on eBay for a good price and put everything back together while refreshing the bottom end. All ended well!
ToJo

Post by ToJo »

When I test rode the bike it started first kick, idled well. Pulled hard to about 1/2 throttle and fell off. Figured I could tune the carb and and fix that. Every thing else on the bike was great. Was Trying to test ride in a neighborhood full of kids, so I didn’t get to crazy or ride it that long. Bought it and brought it home.Tuned the carb well enough that it pulled through the rev range. Then noticed trans level low and and fuel on the floor of the garage. Removed skid plate and found the cracks in the case.
I found some used, already repaired case half’s for $250. The repair was on the machine surface and didn’t look that great in my book. Didn’t look like it would seal very well. Looked around and found a Kawasaki site selling the set new for $500. $75 cheaper than anyone else. I figured it’s worth another $250 for piece of mind. It’s going to need cyl repair and replate, rod and bearings. I’m going all in and doing it right. Hell its already apart no need to half ass it now. At 50 years old this will prob be my last dirt bike. I’m looking to get 10 good years out it, hopefully more.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

New cases are nice. If you’re patient, some cases will pop up on eBay.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is it just the left half or both halves?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ToJo

Post by ToJo »

Best I can tell it’s just the left side. And I’m not the most patient person. Hate walking out to the garage and seeing this thing in pieces. New cases ordered. Prob send the crank off next payday and get the rod and bearings taken care of. Want to get the lower end back together while I have the money. while I’m saving for the top end I can do some general maintenance on it. With a little luck I can be in the woods before fall.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, thanks. Congratulations on pushing forward on it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

If yours is like mine was, and you get brand new cases, it is unlikely they will be stamped with any serial numbers. If you have access to a small set of letter and number stamps, you might want to stamp your serial number into the case.
ToJo

Post by ToJo »

Will do, thanks
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

I think harbor freight sells an inexpensive stamp set for the one time user like ourselves.
I like turtles