Clutch Question

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch Question

Post by firsthere »

04 KDX 200.
The cable is running out of adjustment (too much slack) using the stock setup. Is this an indication it's close to friction plate replacement time? If so what are we running now a days?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clutch Question

Post by bufftester »

Could be an indication that your cable has stretched too much as well. Pull the outer clutch cover and you can disassemble the clutch to measure the frictions and steels. You'll also want to measure the clutch springs free length. If they are all within tolerance then you need a new cable, otherwise refresh the components that are out of spec. IMO stay away from slutch springs that aren't OEM, there have been lots of reports of the aftermarket kits having the wrong springs (search the forums for more info)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just to make sure, you did adjust both adjusters, yes? The one at the lever and the larger one? It could be the friction and steels are worn, or it could be that the cable is stretched out, or both. I would pull the frictions and steels and measure them with a caliper to know for sure so you can order the right parts. When it comes to clutch parts I prefer OEM on everything, except the clutch basket, but some have had good luck with RMATV's Tusk brand. That said, only OEM for the clutch springs which I would replace since you're in there.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

There is still some adjustment left, its trending toward needing occasional tightening though. I have never experienced cable stretching but guess it is a possibility. I'll keep an eye on it, may order a clutch pack with stock springs to have on hand as parts for these older bike are getting harder to find.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Following up;
Installed a new clutch cable and dissected the the original. Hidden inside were frayed cable strands near the mid span adjuster.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow! Thanks for the autopsy report. I can't recall reading that before.

Friendly request to everyone, please post follow ups on what turned out to be the problem. Your success can help others.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks for the follow up!
KDXGarage wrote: 09:11 am Dec 18 2020 Friendly request to everyone, please post follow ups on what turned out to be the problem. Your success can help others.
I agree. I really wish more people would do so.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

KDXGarage wrote: 09:11 am Dec 18 2020 Wow! Thanks for the autopsy report. I can't recall reading that before.

Friendly request to everyone, please post follow ups on what turned out to be the problem. Your success can help others.
EXACTLY! There have been so many times that I'm searching on different forums for answers on how to fix something, and the OP will say, "I will post pics, what I found out, etc." but there's never a response. Thanks firsthere for posting your findings!
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

GATOROC wrote: 09:51 am Dec 19 2020
KDXGarage wrote: 09:11 am Dec 18 2020 Wow! Thanks for the autopsy report. I can't recall reading that before.

EXACTLY! There have been so many times that I'm searching on different forums for answers on how to fix something, and the OP will say, "I will post pics, what I found out, etc." but there's never a response. Thanks firsthere for posting your findings!
Same here, it's frustrating reading along, yeah that what mines doing, how'd ya fix it, then nothing....