88 KDX power valve parts

Got questions? We got answers....
Wesalauzen

88 KDX power valve parts

Post by Wesalauzen »

Hey guys, new to the forums. I just picked up an 88 kdx200 that's actually in pretty nice shape for the year. I noticed that the right hand power valve cover and backing plate are missing from the bike. The arm is there and the shaft is sticking out, one outer c-clip (inner one seems to be missing) and the circular collar that the arm moves with are there, but I'm wondering if anyone can show me what it's supposed to look like assembled? I found a backing plate on ebay. still in search of the cover. I'll have to dig in and see if the seal and other parts that are supposed to be behind the backing plate are there (fingers crossed).

If there are any good threads here on this year and style of power valve (assembly, operation, cleaning, etc.) I would really appreciate a point in the right direction. I've never been good at finding much through searches.

Also, are there free service manuals out there for these or should I pick one up? Clymer of factory the better of the two?

Thanks in advance.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 88 KDX power valve parts

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. I am going to move this over to the air-cooled section.

I prefer OEM over Clymer on the 1986 - 1988 models, though the Clymer is almost as good.

I think the 1986 / 1987 cover is the same, just black instead of gray/silver.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... -kdx200-c3

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Wesalauzen

Post by Wesalauzen »

Thanks for the reply. I had seen the parts diagram, but wasn't sure how the lever arm interacted with the spool and shaft until I saw a pic of it assembled. Then it kind of clicked (shaft moves in and out via lever arm), spool should be captured by the two e-clips and that's what allows the lever arm to move it. so... stopped at the hardware store on the way home, bought an e-clip and reassembled. Luckily the plug and seal behind the spool are there the shaft moved freely in and out and wasn't binding at all. so... technically, bike is fixed. Still need the cover, but may try to make something in the short term to keep dirt off of those parts. Cover is discontinued, but hopefully one will pop up on ebay or here.

The power valve up until then had been open all the time (condition when I bought it). shaft was out at full stroke and spool was not captured on the inside (e clip missing). Lever arm moved, but wasn't attached to anything. Bike seems to run, idle better now. Has surprisingly good power for an older bike.

I wasn't sure on the manual, but ended up going with the clymer. Hadn't seen the reply yet and remembered that the factory manuals tend to leave out things that are assumed known to the mechanics. Was hoping the clymer would be pretty complete. hopefully it works.

Thanks again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job!

You are welcome.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128