Kickstarter - Positioning of ratchet tab/guide & spring?

Got questions? We got answers....
ChucksKDX

Kickstarter - Positioning of ratchet tab/guide & spring?

Post by ChucksKDX »

Trying to reinstall my kickstarter assembly into the side case. My manual does not address the correct positioning of the ratchet tab on the back of the assembly in relation to the ratchet 'guide' on the inside of the case. Logically, it would seem that the ratchet tab would be placed just to the left of the ratchet guide (see pic below) when inserting the kicker assembly and meshing with the kicker gear. If this is correct, it puts the spring end which goes into the side case at the top of the case (at rest) and I will have to carefully move it clockwise to place it in the hole in the edge of the sidecase just to the left and below the kickstarter shaft (see pic). BTW, I didn't put the plastic piece/washer inside the spring; just trying to demonstrate the positioning to you. I wanted to be sure this is all correct before I move that spring around (unless I shouldn't).

Please let me know if I'm off base here. Thanks! Chuck
IMG-9311.PNG
IMG-9311.PNG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2067 times
IMG-9305.JPG
IMG-9305.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 2067 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kickstarter - Positioning of ratchet tab/guide & spring?

Post by KDXGarage »

As best I remember, the spring is tensioned a little during normal installation.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

My manual clearly shows you have the right hole circled in red.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
ChucksKDX

Post by ChucksKDX »

Molly's 70 wrote: 12:44 pm May 21 2020 My manual clearly shows you have the right hole circled in red.
I absolutely agree; that's the hole it was in when I removed it. My question is really in relation to my positioning of the ratchet tab and is it correct that I should 'tension' the spring half a turn clockwise from its resting position to place it in the hole. Seems like a lot of tension to place on it at rest given that it will tense even more as you kick through a cycle. I realize that it needs some tension to bring the kicker back up after each cycle, but really wanted some assurance that this is correct. I've already had to buy this replacement kicker assembly as the previous owner buggered the kicker spring up on the previous assembly. Just trying not to mess it up 'again'! Thanks
ChucksKDX

Post by ChucksKDX »

For anybody that may have this same question, I found a YouTube video that is really good at explaining this very issue. If you search on "1986 Kawasaki KDX 200 Kickstart Mechanism", you will find it.

Thanks,
Chuck
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes it gets tensioned half a turn, that is the holding force that keeps the kicker from flopping around at the top of its stroke.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Yes, it’s more tension than seems necessary. It what it is. Grab a pair of needle nose and carefully wind it into its home. It might not sit perfectly flush in that hold either.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxsully wrote: 11:02 pm May 21 2020 Yes, it’s more tension than seems necessary. It what it is. Grab a pair of needle nose and carefully wind it into its home. It might not sit perfectly flush in that hold either.
He's right! :bravo: I do remember it kind of setting a touch crooked in the hole.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:27 pm May 21 2020
kdxsully wrote: 11:02 pm May 21 2020 Yes, it’s more tension than seems necessary. It what it is. Grab a pair of needle nose and carefully wind it into its home. It might not sit perfectly flush in that hold either.
He's right! :bravo: I do remember it kind of setting a touch crooked in the hole.
It really bothered my inner ocd.
I like turtles
ChucksKDX

Post by ChucksKDX »

Thanks for the insights guys, I appreciate it!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxsully wrote: 06:06 am May 22 2020
KDXGarage wrote: 11:27 pm May 21 2020
It really bothered my inner ocd.
Mine, too! :partyman: