OMG how do you get these huge springs off!

Got questions? We got answers....
'03KDX200

OMG how do you get these huge springs off!

Post by '03KDX200 »

Wow man these aren't your Grandma's springs... They look harmless enough like I might have to go get the screwdriver and try to pry them off... nope! These things are enormously powerful. I had no idea. They are really freaking on there!

How do you get them off then? This ain't happening with a screwdriver or a pick or something. I need some special wrench or pliers that put just the right amount of force in just the right direction to unhook this behemoth, godzilla-like spring. The god damned exhaust ones are almost as bad. Chuck Norris could probably do it with his **** though...
20200518_181415.jpg
20200518_181415.jpg (249.08 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
20200518_181357.jpg
20200518_181357.jpg (300.07 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: OMG how do you get these huge springs off!

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

Hmm, yes! Wait I could see that for the exhaust springs, but what about the kickstand spring? It's probably 5X as powerful as the exhaust springs.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Use pliers / vise grips on the long straight part.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Vise grip on the straight part and lots of muscle
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

No special tools needed.I am sorry I am to useless on the computer to post a video of this but I hope I describe it ok, take a piece of small rope or old HD boot lace 2-3ft(1meter :)) long, fold it in half , thread it between the spring and the kick stand pin and wrap the ends of the rope several times around a bar(screwdriver) and hold the bar and rope in your hand with the rope running out between your middle fingers(looks like a T) hope this make sense, simply pull the string towards the right parallel with the kick stand and the string it will slip between the spring and pin stretching the spring and off it comes, reverse to install. Works great on the exhaust and brake springs as well. lots of leverage this way..
02 KDX220
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

JimmyB wrote: 09:23 am May 19 2020 No special tools needed.I am sorry I am to useless on the computer to post a video of this but I hope I describe it ok, take a piece of small rope or old HD boot lace 2-3ft(1meter :)) long, fold it in half , thread it between the spring and the kick stand pin and wrap the ends of the rope several times around a bar(screwdriver) and hold the bar and rope in your hand with the rope running out between your middle fingers(looks like a T) hope this make sense, simply pull the string towards the right parallel with the kick stand and the string it will slip between the spring and pin stretching the spring and off it comes, reverse to install. Works great on the exhaust and brake springs as well. lots of leverage this way..
**** yeah great tip. I'll try this. I can picture exactly the tool you're talking about. I made a tool kinda like that before while working on replacing the spring mechanism in a 1999 Ford Ranger e-brake assembly.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I removed the bolt of the stand from the bracket with an impact and the spring and stand were free in a few seconds.

This was after messing around with an exhaust spring puller (broke it) and trying with a drum brake spring remover and screwdriver (almost had it). It was one of those "why didn't I think of that sooner" moments.

The small end of the drum brake spring tool (side with the notch) works good for getting the spring back on.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

John_S wrote: 07:17 pm May 19 2020 I removed the bolt of the stand from the bracket with an impact and the spring and stand were free in a few seconds.

This was after messing around with an exhaust spring puller (broke it) and trying with a drum brake spring remover and screwdriver (almost had it). It was one of those "why didn't I think of that sooner" moments.

The small end of the drum brake spring tool (side with the notch) works good for getting the spring back on.
LOL that's funny. Sounds like a harrowing experience. "Man vs. Giant Spring". Did you have nightmares that night of a giant spring creature chasing you down an alleyway?

That's a good idea about just not worrying about the stupid thing and just unbolt the kickstand and away you go. I had that same idea too, after I posted this question on the forum.

Speaking of kickstands, how loose and wobbly are they supposed to be when they're fully retracted? The "cleavis-shaped" part and the end of my kickstand are pretty wobbly. But is there a little wobble in that joint from the factory anyways?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There is a little wobble when new. At some point, it becomes sloppy.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:04 am May 22 2020 There is a little wobble when new. At some point, it becomes sloppy.
Got it, ok thanks.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

My Tusk spring puller was $5.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I just remembered the penny trick. Pretty good chance I read about it here on KDXRIDER.NET.

1) Get yourself a handful of pennies.
2) Take the spring and bend it so you can insert a penny between each coil.
3) When pennies have been inserted between each coil, the distance between the hooks will now be longer than before.
4) Assemble kickstand with spring between the 2 spring posts. The KS will be in the UP position.
5) Now move the KS to the DOWN position, and all pennies fall out.
6) U R DONE!

The above is for installation of spring. To remove spring, proceed in reverse order.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

after reading step 1, I was like, "No way, dude." Sure enough! Man, that is damn clever of someone!
svboy

Post by svboy »

pumpguy wrote: 12:06 pm May 25 2020 I just remembered the penny trick. Pretty good chance I read about it here on KDXRIDER.NET.

1) Get yourself a handful of pennies.
2) Take the spring and bend it so you can insert a penny between each coil.
3) When pennies have been inserted between each coil, the distance between the hooks will now be longer than before.
4) Assemble kickstand with spring between the 2 spring posts. The KS will be in the UP position.
5) Now move the KS to the DOWN position, and all pennies fall out.
6) U R DONE!

The above is for installation of spring. To remove spring, proceed in reverse order.
This! Works well, easy to do. I learnt that at the cost of 2 exhaust spring pullers!