Rear Shock Rebound

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

Rear Shock Rebound

Post by BlkDakDave »

Most likely NOT a new topic, but after reading though a few threads on the subject, I didn't really find a definitive answer to my dilemma. Although, I did read one thread where KDXGarage suggested that a 18 year old shock needs to be rebuilt.

Here's my scenario. I was able to visit the riding club I belong to a couple of times this past week and really ride my 04, 220. Since it's 150 miles one way, I get there about sunrise and stay until about 1700 to get in a good day of riding. During these visits, I could hear and feel a clunk in the rear just under the seat. At first I thought it could have been a rock or the tire hitting the rear fender. This morning I pulled the bike out of the shed to do some maintenance and while lifting the rear end up to swing the bike around, I heard that clunk. It seems like the rear shock settles about 1 to 2 inches and when the bike is lifted from the rear, the shock "tops out" making that sound.

What am I looking at here, a shock rebuild or just replaceit with a newer more modern suitable donor?

Thanks in advance
NEVER FORGET!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear Shock Rebound

Post by SS109 »

It most definitely is time for the shock to serviced.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW. Check the easy stuff like linkage bearings and bolts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

That's what I figured, just needed an educated second opinion. Never done one, but also never sky dived until I was 55, but like they say "there's a first time for everything." Maybe now at 65, I'll try that sky diving thing again!
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check the bolts before the KDX takes off! :grin:
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 04:36 pm May 13 2020 WOW. Check the easy stuff like linkage bearings and bolts.
Funny you say that. After getting the mud off and cleaning up the bike today, my plan was to change the trans fluid and pull the rear swing arm off to grease everything up. After hearing that noise when lifting the rear end and pondering the reason, I decided to trim some trees instead. Going to tackle the swing arm and pull the shock tomorrow. I figure I have some time now. It's getting too darn hot to ride in South Texas and lots of rain forecasted over the next several days 150 miles to the north where I ride.

Thanks!
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Stay safe out there with the trees. Good luck on the bearing checks.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

As mentioned sounds like your lower shock bearing has crumbled, have kyb shocks in front of me now and can't think what would be prone to making a clunking sound inside the shock
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Maybe I misunderstood what was being asked. I thought the shock itself was clunking and not the linkage (ie; as in the stroke of the shock). Yeah, if it's not that then you need to check all the bearings for the rear suspension.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you have one, throw it up on a work stand, then lift up on the rear wheel just a touch, move it up and down / left to right to check for play.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Definitely check your linkage bearings as well as the shock bearings. They are under maintained even by the best of us.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:19 pm May 13 2020 Stay safe out there with the trees. Good luck on the bearing checks.
Will do! The riding club (DBSA) location has a variety of terrain including some tight single track with some big oaks and mesquite trees. But, still not as tight or congested compared to where I rode for two years in east MS.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

kdxdazz wrote: 05:33 pm May 13 2020 As mentioned sounds like your lower shock bearing has crumbled, have kyb shocks in front of me now and can't think what would be prone to making a clunking sound inside the shock
Definitely coming from the rear. Could feel it and hear it under the seat. Thought at first it was a rock(s) bouncing off the underside of the rear fender. Going to check the bearings today. Thanks!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

SS109 wrote: 05:43 pm May 13 2020 Maybe I misunderstood what was being asked. I thought the shock itself was clunking and not the linkage (ie; as in the stroke of the shock). Yeah, if it's not that then you need to check all the bearings for the rear suspension.
You did not misunderstand. I noticed the sound when I pulled up on the rear of the bike to swing it around. The rear shock came up about 2" seemed to "top out" making that clunk sound. Didn't seem right that the rear shock would settle that much then clunk when being extended.
The maintenance on the rear swing arm and suspension linkage was on my "to do" list before the issue with the shock came up. Good day to work in the garage as we have thunderstorms moving through this morning.

Thanks!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:49 pm May 13 2020 If you have one, throw it up on a work stand, then lift up on the rear wheel just a touch, move it up and down / left to right to check for play.
Good idea! I have a handy dandy Harbor Freight ATV/MC jack that I can use.

Thanks!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

bufftester wrote: 07:01 pm May 13 2020 Definitely check your linkage bearings as well as the shock bearings. They are under maintained even by the best of us.
Yep, the rear suspension linkage bearings is one of the bottom of the list jobs. I just did the all the linkage bearings on my KLR. Had it all taken apart, so it seemed like a good time to do it.
KLR650
KLR650
KLR apart - Copy.jpg (499.93 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

MAN! That's a lot of air on that bike!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 09:09 am May 14 2020 MAN! That's a lot of air on that bike!
Ha! My friend who let me work on my bike at his shop said it reminded him of the insurance commercial where the guy is half man - half motorcycle.

I'm glad that job is over and the bike is back together.
KLR650.jpg
KLR650.jpg (389.02 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Pulled the rear shock out. My Cyclepedia Service Manual made it seem pretty straight forward. Remove seat, side covers. remove dog bones, then the top and bottom shock bolts and remove from the right side. Don't think so, at least for me. Just wasn't enough wiggle room. I also removed the rocker arm, remove bolt from sub frame and swing away to remove air box, then I could remove it from the right side Should have bought a Clymer service manual. I removed, dismantled the entire engine and most of the bike using that one.

I've been reading posts from here and Thumpertalk on rebuilds and oil changes. Good info on each site from KDXGarage. Also watched a few videos, so I guess I'm now a "YouTube Certified Motorcycle Technician. Tomorrow the shock goes in the table vice.
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No Clymer for any KDX newer than 1988. They made two manuals for KDX's, 1979 - 1981 and then 1986 - 1988 KDX200 (something like that).

Thanks for the mention. I appreciate it. I do all right on some aspects. :-)

I still need to print out and frame my certificate for "Youtube Certified Motorcycle Technician". :-)

On the shock, ask away. THAT is one area of 1989+ KDX bikes that I am pretty darn decent at. No smiley!

See how many clicks out on rebound the shock is at. BE GENTLE. DO NOT crank on it. Fully clockwise is most resistance. Counterclockwise is least resistance.

IF, IF, IF you have the correct sag set, then measure the spring length before disassembly.

Clean and reclean the threads before loosening the locknut on the threads. Also, lubricate the threads with a light oil before laying a wrench on them. Let it soak down into the threads and run down and around. Dirt LOVES to cake up inside the lock ring and adjusting ring.

After you get the lock ring out of the way, If you have it in upside down, you may be able to just spin the spring to get the first couple of rotations of loosening.

DO NOT release the nitrogen just yet.

Ever so gently, with a small (3/16") flat head screwdriver, turn the rebound adjuster to full soft (counter clockwise). DO NOT crank on it. It is brass in aluminum. Your steel scredriver will win every tough battle, destroying it.

Place the screwdriver by the vise, within arm's reach. Use two hands and compress the shock completely. With one hand, let go and grab the screwdriver. GENTLY, turn it all the way clockwise. If the shock is working properly with a good nitrogen charge, it should stay locked down.