02 KDX 200 is extremely hard to shift into 1st gear.

Got questions? We got answers....
zepdrix

02 KDX 200 is extremely hard to shift into 1st gear.

Post by zepdrix »

A couple of days ago I pulled out my old KDX 200 thats been sitting for something like 9 years. Everything went well changed plug air filter and flushed the carb and it started on the first kick. Then I went to go for a ride out on the trails and it started to not want shift into first and a couple times it popped out of first into neutral. Through the day it got worse to the point where its really hard to get it to go into first at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: 02 KDX 200 is extremely hard to shift into 1st gear.

Post by kdxsully »

Did the other gears shift okay? I’d first check the shift linkage to make sure anything isn’t hung up, binding, or even worse, corroded. I’d imagine there was oil in there those 9 years but anything can happen.
I like turtles
zepdrix

Post by zepdrix »

kdxsully wrote: 06:48 am May 03 2020 Did the other gears shift okay? I’d first check the shift linkage to make sure anything isn’t hung up, binding, or even worse, corroded. I’d imagine there was oil in there those 9 years but anything can happen.
Yea the other gears are shifting at 100%. Yea there was oil in there. I guess I probubly should of changed it before taking for a ride though.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

That stuff may have thickened over time. Try some fresh oil. If it continues you may have to split the cases to see if you have a worn/bent shift fork, or worn gear dogs. Maybe someone else will come up with another idea
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Would probably be worth the time to pull the right side engine cover and make sure the shift pawl mechanism is intact and operating properly. If it is then next stop is to split the cases and check the shift drums/forks
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

bufftester wrote: 03:58 pm May 04 2020 Would probably be worth the time to pull the right side engine cover and make sure the shift pawl mechanism is intact and operating properly. If it is then next stop is to split the cases and check the shift drums/forks
I agree. I had a similar shifting problem and found that one of the spring ends of the shift pawl had popped off. Simple fix by taking the inner clutch cover off on the right side. Can't remember if I had to pull the clutch basket off or not to access it though.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
zepdrix

Post by zepdrix »

Thanks guys I appreciate the help im gonna pull the clutch cover and see if I can figure it out this weekend.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

You might need to order a gasket set. I’m willing to bet that gasket will tear if it’s been there for 9 years.
I like turtles