More jetting questions...

Got questions? We got answers....
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

More jetting questions...

Post by marco220 »

I've searched through quite a few of the posts on this topic and I still have some questions. I've got a stock 02 KDX 220 (snorkel removed). Elevation is 500-1000ft. As far as the temp goes it's a wide range (Illinois) and I don't mind if I set it up for cooler weather (50-60 degrees)and then run a little rich when the temps climb. I'm currently running 32:1 semi-synthetic but I think I'll be changing to 40:1 with the same semi-synthetic (possibly full synthetic).

I haven't done the plug chop yet since neighbors are a little uptight about running it down the street at full throttle (and I'm close to the cop shop). I'm going to wait for the track to do that but I'd like to get in the ballpark before I head out.

I have the stock R1173L jet in the 3rd from top position, a 145 main and 42 pilot. From what I've seen and heard, most recommendations are to move the clip to the 2nd from top, run the stock main (145) and pilot (42) and then fine tune with the air screw.

:? Will that get me close? This is my first jetting experience and I'd hate for it to end badly (too lean).
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think that main would be much closer to a 155 ...not a 145. That would be quite lean for the 200. Pilot sounds close though. Needle 2nd from the top.

I live in Illinois too.... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

You made me go back and check my post but I had it right.
It's a 220 we're talking about here.

Rock on in Illinois! Too bad it's a 2-4 hr drive for a good place to ride. At least where I am.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was wrong... sorry! I don't have a clue on a 220 other than I would put a 35mm carb on it... or better yet...a RB modded one.

Come down to South Fork in Taylorville and ride with us on Labor Day weekend if you can!

May 25th-38th Great Harescramble track, MX track, Oval track and plenty of fun camping and having a good time! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

I've got a 220. I run in elevations pretty close to what you describe. I had a 142 main, 40 pilot (38 when it's hot in the summer), and stock needle on the 2nd clip, A/S at around 1.25 turns out with the 40 pilot and 0.75 to 1 with the 38. I assume you have the stock pipe, if you have a rev pipe, you'll have to richen the jetting. I also have the snorkel in but a bunch of holes drilled in the air box lid. I was running 32:1 at the time but now I mix at 40:1, always full synthetic.

Last winter I sent my carb and head to RB Designs. You should read up on this mod. I thought my bike ran pretty good set up as described above, but it really runs nice after the carb and head mod.

You should consider changing out the stock piston for a wiseco. The stocker has been known to fail. Search around, you'll find some info on this.

Have fun.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Marco, where in the 'Burbs do you live? I'm in Bartlett. Starved rock has riding 1.5hrs away, but I have yet to go there. I did go hiking there last weekend at the state park, and have to say that there is some crazy terrain (for IL) near the IL river...SANDY though. Will definitely have to go down south to ride w/ Inda/Crew, and I. Inda....Here's a silly question. Is Vandeberg going? :roll: Oh yeah, la like beer? :cool:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

S'posed ta! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Fuzzy, I'm just a couple of minutes north in Schaumburg. I've ridden several places near Starved Rock but not the State Park.

Heard of South Fork but never been there. I'll see about Labor Day.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

THe start park doesn't have riding...I've just been hiking there. So you've probably been to the places I'm talking about...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been to the State Park in years and thought maybe something had changed.

Most often we'll hit one of these:
http://thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/
http://www.foxvalleyoffroad.com/
http://buffalorange.tripod.com/
http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/
http://www.rockyglenohv.com/

Have you been the Bong Rec Area in Wisconsin??
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head