MX rear fender install

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MX rear fender install

Post by wanaride »

This is probably easy, but to help keep me from making a mistake, I'll ask anyway...

The Maier MX rear fender from FRP has two holes that appear to line up with the subframe bracket. Of course, the taillight's mounting posts don't line up with these two holes.

At this point it looks like I'll need to:
- enlarge existing fender holes to accomodate taillight mounting posts.
- drill another mounting hole for 3rd taillight post.
- drill another hole for taillight wire to penetrate fender
- possibly drill 2 small holes to receive the tips on the bottom of the taillight mount.

Interestingly, the "mounting kit" that came with the fender only had one screw/washer/nut combo in it.

Am I missing something, or making this too hard? Feedback appreciated!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
mattR

Post by mattR »

What tail light are you using?

The MX fender and a Baja Designs LED under fender tail light is an easy install and looks slick IMO. Not mine but it looks like this.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... test02.jpg
97 KDX 220
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I was planning on using the stock taillight, but maybe that isn't a good plan. The fender's shape and recessed area makes me think the stock taillight will never get a watertight seal on it anyway.

I'm just wondering how to fasten the fender to the subframe at this point, taillight or not. Maybe I should cannabilize the rubber bushings from the stock taillight and place these between the fender and subframe bracket?

Maybe I can try to use the toolkit's fasteners to hold the fender to the subframe bracket, then order a different taillight.

Sorry, I'm probably doing this the hard way, but if there is an easy way to do something, I'll never find it! :shock:

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

There should have been two spacers (approx. 10mm tall) packaged with the fender. There should have been two bolts with lock nuts as well. The spacers go under the fender and on top of the sub frame bracket. The holes in the fender should line up (or at least close enough) with the holes in the sub frame bracket.

I also drilled two holes in each side of the MX style fender to match the two mounting holes on the OEM fender that held the OEM fender on each side of the sub frame.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks Robb. For some reason, there was only one bolt & nut in the pack, but two spacers. Oh well, I need to go to Lowe's tonight anyway.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

In my black one came 2x bolts, 2x spacers and 2x washers. In the green one was only 1x bolt, 2x washers and 2x spacers.

Weird... :shock:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yep, that was included with my green one also. Clearly it wasn't FRP's fault because everything is sealed in a bag from Maier, but it is weird.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70